Author Topic: mechanical keyboards are not worth the money.  (Read 16238 times)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
mechanical keyboards are not worth the money.
« on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:14:30 »
Thoughts?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: mechanical keyboards are not worth the money.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:16:37 »
Sure. For a lot of people. Just like anything other than a can of Nescafé is not worth the money. But if you care about having good coffee...
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:16:47 »
Depends.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:18:31 »
Honestly...   I agree...

If all you only have light computer use....   Then it's totally NOT worth the money...

Ontop of that a typical mechanical keyboard to the typical user will provide NO tangible benefit in terms of ACTUAL performance..   

The Ergodox is really the only relevant investment, but even then it's only for computer-addicts that can't get offline...

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:18:40 »
Actually I roast my own my coffee and you can buy em for pretty cheap actually.
So its not more expensive actually

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:24:39 »
I always draw the comparison with shoes.

Wal-Mart shoes are acceptable for almost anything, and, when you wear 'em out, just replace 'em!

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:26:47 »
You do need to wear a formal pair for certain occassions though and for work.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:27:12 »
I can understand the sentiment.

Mechanical keyboards are a luxury item for upwards of 90% of users. Cherry switches were designed to last for years of intense use, and don't even get me started on hall effect...

I always draw the comparison with shoes.

Wal-Mart shoes are acceptable for almost anything, and, when you wear 'em out, just replace 'em!

++++++++

QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:28:08 »
Why do people buy anything that costs more than other things? Why are things even made that are different than others? Why aren't we all issued standard equipment upon birth, and we never know anything else?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:49:41 »
A Quickfire Rapid, SteelSeries 6GV2 or Func KB-460 costs about the same as a Logitech Illuminated or wireless Apple Aluminum keyboard and less like a monstrosity from Madcatz or in Logitech's G-series.

Keyboard choice is mostly about personal preference. It is also about quality. If you can get a keyboard that satisfies your preferences and quality at a good price, then that is always worth the money.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:52:54 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:52:13 »
troll thread is trolling!
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:05:12 »
Why do people buy anything that costs more than other things? Why are things even made that are different than others? Why aren't we all issued standard equipment upon birth, and we never know anything else?

this some commie **** bruh
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:09:30 »
Don't feed the trolls

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:10:52 »
A Quickfire Rapid, SteelSeries 6GV2 or Func KB-460 costs about the same as a Logitech Illuminated or wireless Apple Aluminum keyboard and less like a monstrosity from Madcatz or in Logitech's G-series.

Keyboard choice is mostly about personal preference. It is also about quality. If you can get a keyboard that satisfies your preferences and quality at a good price, then that is always worth the money.

yeah but most people don't buy those keyboards
they use the free one Dell/HP ships to them, or some $5.00 OEM keyboard.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:26:59 »
You get what you pay for.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:42:29 »
Depends on your reason for getting them.

If you're getting them because they last longer.  Well to be honest it's still cheaper to buy $10 keyboard and replace them as they break.  My cheapo Dell keyboard lasted me more than 10 years.  So cost wise rubber dome is still cheaper.

However if you buy them because they feel nicer, then it's definitely worth it.  Although like everything else in life there is a range.  Maybe between rubber dome and mechanical there is a huge difference, but say between a $150 mechanical and a $400 Korean customs I don't think the difference is that huge.  Like there is still a difference but doesn't warrant the 2X plus price tag.

I always compare it to cars, Lexus is definitely noticeably better than Toyota.  But the difference gets smaller between a Porsche and Lexus, and then again Porsche to Ferrari while the price difference just spikes.

So you have to decide where to draw the line.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 18:59:18 »
My first mechanical I bought because I wanted something that would last longer.

All the rest because hype.

But I definitely think I've gotten my monies worth out of my daily driver.

Offline mikekey

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 19:00:15 »
I think mine was.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 19:05:26 »
Depends on your reason for getting them.

If you're getting them because they last longer.  Well to be honest it's still cheaper to buy $10 keyboard and replace them as they break.  My cheapo Dell keyboard lasted me more than 10 years.  So cost wise rubber dome is still cheaper.

However if you buy them because they feel nicer, then it's definitely worth it.  Although like everything else in life there is a range.  Maybe between rubber dome and mechanical there is a huge difference, but say between a $150 mechanical and a $400 Korean customs I don't think the difference is that huge.  Like there is still a difference but doesn't warrant the 2X plus price tag.

I always compare it to cars, Lexus is definitely noticeably better than Toyota.  But the difference gets smaller between a Porsche and Lexus, and then again Porsche to Ferrari while the price difference just spikes.

So you have to decide where to draw the line.

Why do some people think mechanical >> rubber dome?  In some instances rubber dome > mechanical.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 19:31:31 »
topper

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 19:34:17 »
Clacks are not worth the money.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 19:39:53 »
Clacks are not worth the money.

SHEE-IT! Next you're going to tell me booze, prostitutes, and cocaine ain't worth the money.

Offline Altis

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 20:25:31 »
Lots of things aren't even remotely worth the money they charge for them. It only really becomes an issue when it's a necessity (such as food, utilities, water) that cost way too much.

I do think that mechanical keyboards could be cheaper, but then some of the are. It's really the ones that are higher quality and limited in production that cost a lot.

Some things are just clearly a rip-off though. The HHKB-S for $350 comes to mind...
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 20:29:54 »
I agree for the most part. If you're a light user, then yes, it's probably not worth the money, and you probably wouldn't know typing on a piece of wood from typing on a model M. However, if you work on the computer for 8 or more hours a day, it really does make a difference. I've noticed a huge lack of fatigue since my switch to mechs, and my friends who I have converted have noticed the same during their long gaming sessions.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 21:24:17 »
Tools in general are way overrated. We should go back to living in caves in the forest, killing animals with rocks, and pulling off chunks of raw meat to eat with our teeth.

Offline midnightmare

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 21:45:12 »
Depends on how much you use a keyboard, for me it was an obvious decision since I'm typing all day for work.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 23:44:48 »
If I didn't keyboard, I'd have more money for fountain pens

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 23:51:19 »
For those who obtain vintage mechanical boards for cheap (discarded, in thrift shops, garage sales, estate sales, etc), these certainly bring a lot of bang for the buck in terms of quality and longevity.   Boards such as the Model M are practically bullet proof and will outlast many of the cheaper boards.

I'm not sure if I'd pay for some of the custom boards costing upwards of $200.  It's just not in my budget, and it's the law of diminishing returns.  For me, those boards are not worth it.

I found that I enjoy mechanical keyboards because of the nostalgia, typing experience (the tactile and aural enjoyment), and appreciation of the engineering that went into designing the keyboard.  It makes me want to type more.  The sound of the clicky switches is music to my ears.  I purchased my boards at what I felt was a reasonable price, and in fact sold a couple Model 's for a profit to buy the other boards.  The vast majority of the population will likely be happy with cheap rubber dome crap and not appreciate mechanical keyboards.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 01:01:15 »
I still remember when new keyboards came out with keys that were easier to press and didn't make loud clicking sounds.

Offline thestage

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 04:07:12 »
true.

but I have five of them

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 04:45:30 »
I think that could be true for a lot of people. There are a lot of things that factor into whether or not you should buy one. Time spend behind the pc for example is a factor. Another is whether you can afford to pay more for a keyboard than strictly necessary.

I use them because I like the way they feel when typing (technically I use topre so not mechanical). But that is really a subjective and personal thing. If someone tells me he thinks it is not worth it, I can see where he is coming from.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 September 2014, 04:51:44 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 04:46:59 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 06:09:48 »
Most things on a hobby level aren't worth the money.

If you want something that is good and will last, yes it's gonna be expensive. But once you go into the hobby and all that, your returns diminish rapidly

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 06:39:39 »
Thoughts?

Depends on the person and their level of use on their keyboards.

If you're a programmer, a web developer or a gamer, then yes they are most definitely worth the money, are they needed? nope, of course not.

Personally, I could never not have a mechanical board, think I'd rather kill myself than go back to using a membrane keyboard, lol.
你搞砸了

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 06:40:15 »
troll thread continues!

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 09:44:24 »
I think most people don't care.

However, if you invest 1000+ into a computer, then you should really think about getting some nice peripherals.
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 09:54:34 »

However, if you invest 1000+ into a computer, then you should really think about getting some nice peripherals.

I don't see how spending more on your PC correlates to having to spend more on peripherals. For me, I've budget-built 2 computers so I'd have extra money for keyboards. :p
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 09:57:10 »
nice
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 10:08:42 »

I don't see how spending more on your PC correlates to having to spend more on peripherals. For me, I've budget-built 2 computers so I'd have extra money for keyboards. :p

Corsair 9000DD computer case
Intel 230000X 74-Core CPU, with liquid kryptonite cooling system
386GB of DDR42 RAM
1PB of SSD split into 15x 64GB channels for multiplexed channel access of data RAID 46
penta monitor setup, 25600x2880 resolution
GTX Titan ZZTop 32GB 4-way SLI on-a-single-slot card

Dell rubberdome keyboard lol

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 18:44:45 »
I have been using "the keyboard that came with my Mac" (really a series of keyboards) for YEARS and really it's been fine for the most part.

BUT, I've recently bought a nice quality mechanical keyboard (Keyed Up Labs, Cherry brown switches) and it's just a whole different thing. The light, precise amount of touch that's required to press the keys makes me feel very much like I'm using a high quality instrument to interact with text on my computer. There's just a certain tactile pleasure in interacting with a well-made piece of machinery. Like iOS or not, you pick up an iPhone and it feels good in your hand. You climb into a nice car and shut the door and you hear and feel how precisely everything is fitting together. Same with this keyboard. I'm spending many many hours hitting these keys. Why not invest a comparatively small amount of money into making it feel nice?

All that said, I will admit that I'm actually still making a lot more typing errors because it's only been a week and my fingers are still adjusting to the key travel and slightly higher amount of effort required to press the keys. I'm also bouncing back and forth between this new keyboard and the one on my Macbook Air — which is not a terrible keyboard at all but is just very different.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 September 2014, 18:48:34 by dchadwick »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 18:52:35 »
Gr8 b8 m8 8/8
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 18:57:42 »
Thoughts?

By all means.. stick to your 'big mac' keyboard..  I'll opt for the 'top sirloin' mechanical keyboard.  Every time.. any time.

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 19:45:09 »
I use my keyboard almost every day for work, for my creative endeavors and for a lot of entertainment.
I can't think of anything else that is a 'luxury' in my like that is more worth the money.

just because a mech is a 'luxury' as opposed to a more necessary item does not mean its 'not worth the money', and a good mech lasts you decades.

A carpenter is going to buy more quality tools that are a joy to use, and will also last him longer because it is his livelihood and also his vocation.
Having a career in computers, or writing or anything else is no different; and so the purchase of tools that make your work a joy is not irrational, its more rational than buying something that makes your work a chore instead of a joy.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 19:55:09 »
IF you buy something and use it/enjoy it, then it was worth the money to you. I suppose mechanical keyboards might be regarded as a first-world luxury, but at one time, all the computer keyboards were mechanical. My first computer was an IBM XT, and thirty years hence, I started buying XT keyboards on eBay, refurbishing them and installing Soarer's Converter so that I could use them again via USB with my new Mac Pro. I use them in my work -- they are useful and a pleasure to use. Definitely worth the money both times.

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 20:49:46 »
Most things in life seldom are.  But mek keyboards are certainly worth MY money.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 21:39:07 »
I once though to myself, "I should buy a massive block of gold and marvel it every day"
And then I thought, "What if I could lustily caress something with the value of a block of gold with my soft and supple fingers for hours on end?"

That was the dream. But now all of my lusty and majestic prizes sit on my desk and make loud noises all day  :))
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline EpicSNES

• how do i keyboard
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 01:10:37 »
I type a lot, A LOT, at work and at home. Mechanical keyboards makes it much more enjoyable so I find the high price tag worth it.

Filco Tenkeyless mx blue

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 05:06:07 »
As with anything, if you do a thing a lot, it's worth getting high quality gear. I write code all day for a living, so a mechanical keyboard is worth it. At home it's more of a luxury, but since I use one all day at work it feels sucky to use anything less at home... so it's worth it there for me, too.

The value of an item to an individual can only be evaluated by that individual. I value the long term health of my hands, wrists and forearms far more than the cost of a mechanical keyboard, so....
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 15:33:28 »
For me, the decision to move to mechanical keyboards was primarily economic.

I was going through Logitech Wave keyboards every 5 - 6 months. The problem I have always had with membrane boards is that when they get some use, the keys start sticking on the posts. So, if you don't strike the key exactly in the center, the key would sometimes won't register. To compensate for this, you subconsciously start hammering the keys to make up for the keys that stick.

My first mech board was a Das Ultimate with MX Browns. I used that as my only keyboard for over three years. When I finally gave it to a buddy, the key switches still actuated like they did when they were new. (The only reason I gave it away is because I moved to Topre keyboards.)

So, if you add up three years of $50 membrane keyboards replaced every six months, I would have spent $300 over those three years. That $130 Das now looks pretty inexpensive.

Aside from the economic advantages to mechanical keyboards, there're other factors to consider...

Comfort - they're arguably easier on the fingers and joints since you're not hammering keys.
Options - you can select a switch weight as well as tactility (or lack thereof if you prefer a linear key switch) that suits your typing style and preference.
Productivity - I have fewer typing mistakes on a mechanical board. That's partly due to the fact that the keystroke registers approximately half way into actuation.
Enjoyment factor - I can honestly say I enjoy typing on a mechanical board far more than a membrane board.

The above reasons are subjective. Only you can decide if those reasons justify the additional cost of a mechanical keyboard.

However, the economic argument is quite objective for a heavy computer user. In fact, if you're a heavy computer user, it would be financially foolish to NOT to move to a mechanical keyboard.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 20:25:57 »
Eh, they kind of are worth the money, since I've switched to mechs nearly two years ago from membranes, like dells and alienware membranes, I've gotten faster, and really do enjoy typing on this shine. I'm more comfortable and feel like I can type forever

But there are some cheaper boards, cooler master comes to mind, give me a price range for "not worth the money"
Sub $100 boards are around, and I've seen plenty of membranes go upwards of $100 and such. It's also the mentality with most mech boards "I can kill a man with it and continue to type with it".