Author Topic: The secret to good cooking ?  (Read 6120 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
The secret to good cooking ?
« on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 11:11:08 »
Is just Lots-of-Oil,  No ?

I mean, 9/10 cooking videos,  you can pretty much see that the Oil makes the biggest difference..

And almost all restaurant foods are quite greasy..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: The secret to good cooking ?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 11:47:12 »
Butter, not oil.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Elth

• Easy now fuzzy little man peach
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 11:49:43 »
Or the Paula Dean method, butter & oil
TGR Jane V2 | TGR 910 | TGR Jane CE

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 12:29:48 »
Salt
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 12:57:58 »
Don't **** up
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline scubaste

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 13:00:18 »
Effort and Knowledge, which might be the secret to nearly everything.

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 13:02:29 »
Sriracha, garlic salt, butter. Done and done.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 13:03:41 »
Mushrooms.

When you're tripping balls everything tastes good
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 13:05:16 »
It totally depends on what you're cooking. Basic things that help immensely are: fresh ingredients, seasoning, butter :P, fresh herbs and spices. onions, garlic...shallots.

One of the best things you can do though, is taste as you go. don't just whip **** together and hope it turns out for the best (unless you're baking - or are following a very specific recipe). but often times, if you're like me, you're just making do with what you have in the fridge or sitting around. if you decide to add something, taste it after. repeat per ingredient added.  it's very hard to make something that tastes bad if you are constantly tasting and adjusting during the cooking process.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 13:06:46 »
Ingredients and less of everything else. Buy fresh, local ingredients and the end result will taste better, no question.

Aside from that, practice. It took me a while to get used to controlling heat in pans, taking them off the heat if they're too hot, not over-heating cast iron, etc. I'm still learning a lot but I burn much less than I did in the past.

Also, branch out to other cooking aside from pan searing. Broil stuff in the oven, make your own bread, grill things other than meat (vegetables, fruits, fish).
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:34:59 »
My secret to good cooking is to get someone else to do it.

Preferably someone who knows what they are doing.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:39:07 »
Salt (in moderation).

Brings out the flavors of almost everything you put it on.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:43:05 »
In restaurants you may see abuse in salt and butter, things taste better that way normally, but not so good for you.

At home, just practice and that is the secret too good cooking, learn techniques instead of memorizing entire recipes ;)

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:56:12 »
No fat no flavor :)
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:08:54 »
Enough oil, enough seasoning. Like REALLY season them f**kers in the pan. Also, TASTE. taste taste taste in the process.

And don't throw everything in the pan at once. First, get the pan to heat up warm enough. THEN add oil. THEN add veggies, simmer them down a bit if you want them glazed or if you want them sealed burn them f**kers down immediately.

I love cooking... secret to good cooking is practice practice practice. And learning how to cut. Buy a goood kitchen knife.

When I have a new recipe, I cook it at least 5 times in a week to get it into my muscle memory. Like typing basically. Get those steps ingrained in them gray matter.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:12:00 »
Have the highest possible meat content and as few as possible veg.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 14:42:14 »
* Seasoning with the right amounts of salt and black pepper. Restaurant chefs often overdo it.
* A splash of red wine.
* Use Pecorino Romano where you would otherwise have used regular parmesan cheese.
* MSG ... from meat, broth, by using sundried tomatoes, cooked tomatoes, yeast flakes or msg powder.

Or the Paula Dean method, butter & oil
Butter and olive oil. If you use flavourless oil then you could just as well use only butter.

Learn which herbs and spices that to go with which ingredients.
🍉

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 14:56:10 »
Bacon. Forget moderation, just Baconize everything and your cooking will jump to 10/10
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2016, 15:51:10 by csmertx »
Chris Schammert

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 15:28:18 »
Enough oil, enough seasoning. Like REALLY season them f**kers in the pan. Also, TASTE. taste taste taste in the process.

And don't throw everything in the pan at once. First, get the pan to heat up warm enough. THEN add oil. THEN add veggies, simmer them down a bit if you want them glazed or if you want them sealed burn them f**kers down immediately.

I love cooking... secret to good cooking is practice practice practice. And learning how to cut. Buy a goood kitchen knife.

When I have a new recipe, I cook it at least 5 times in a week to get it into my muscle memory. Like typing basically. Get those steps ingrained in them gray matter.

better to add oil before heating up, that way you won't have too much smoking if your pan is too hot when you add the oil.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 15:46:04 »

better to add oil before heating up, that way you won't have too much smoking if your pan is too hot when you add the oil.

Good point.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:07:09 »
Chyros’s ideal meal: a big heap of lean ground beef, raw.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:21:46 »

Mmmmm MM! My grandfather ate raw ground beef sandwiches. This was before all the mad cow stuff though
Chris Schammert

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:23:31 »

Mmmmm MM! My grandfather ate raw ground beef sandwiches. This was before all the mad cow stuff though

My wife's aunt and grandma did as well, they called them cannibal sandwiches.  Just white bread, red onion, and raw ground beef  :'(
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:24:59 »

My wife's aunt and grandma did as well, they called them cannibal sandwiches.  Just white bread, red onion, and raw ground beef  :'(

Hehe, cannibal sandwiches
Chris Schammert

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:37:02 »

Hehe, cannibal sandwiches

I've had raw beef sashimi..

It's alrite.. imho.. raw beef is too chewy and not really that great mouth-mechanically...

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:43:26 »
Raw beef can be delicious: beef carpaccio, steak tartare, kitfo, crudos, etc.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 17:11:08 »
Restraint.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 17:35:41 »
Proper seasoning goes a long way. So does not overlooking things.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 01:02:59 »
It's really simple: The secret to good cooking starts with good ingredients.

This is the main reason I do not usually cook at home, having worked in 4-star kitchens I know how much the yummy ingredients cost + the time to prep and it's usually cheaper to just have someone prepare it for you if you.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 01:53:25 »
The secret to good cooking starts with good ingredients. This is the main reason I do not usually cook at home [...] I know how much the yummy ingredients cost [...]
This doesn’t really follow IMO. You can always buy ingredients for dramatically less than restaurant meals which use the same quality (because the restaurant has other costs beyond ingredients). It’s also generally easier to prepare food matching your own tastes and dietary needs at home than to find it at a restaurant.

For many types of food, I find there’s even time savings in preparing something at home vs. transporting myself to a restaurant, ordering, waiting for someone to prepare the meal, eating, and then transporting myself home.

Of course, if you only want to eat food which takes many hours to prepare, then sure, doing that at home would be a big commitment. But a wide variety of tasty meals can be fully prepared in 15–60m.

I find that my friends who mostly eat at restaurants tend to be relatively wealthy, and either unskilled at cooking and afraid to learn, or working demanding jobs and not willing to spend the mental energy making choices involved in cooking. Many of them are also single, so the prep time isn’t amortized over several diners the way a family meal would be, and there’s nobody to cook with (cooking and eating with other people is a lot more fun than cooking and eating alone).

If there’s a top secret to good cooking, it’s having good company. A nearly inedible food disaster is more fun with someone to laugh about it than the best five-star restaurant dish alone.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2016, 02:07:26 by jacobolus »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 02:09:04 »
Meh, I used to love to cook and experiment in the kitchen but after working in a few restaurants it really turned me off cooking at home. Now it just feels like work :(

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 02:10:11 »
Well, fair enough. :-)

My work is staring at a computer screen, so preparing food is a fun diversion.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 05:48:24 »

I think you're doing it wrong - for me food preparation is a distraction from staring at a screen.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 05:58:49 »

I think you're doing it wrong - for me food preparation is a distraction from staring at a screen.

Aren't you both saying the exact same thing or am I reading it wrong?

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 06:07:45 »
The secret (ingredient) is love.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 06:09:01 »
msg
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 06:10:52 »
The secret (ingredient) is love.

Massage the meat. Lick them veggies a little before cooking them. Show em you appreciate them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 06:16:52 »

Aren't you both saying the exact same thing or am I reading it wrong?

Nope.

jacobolus said preparing food is a "fun diversion".

Rowdy said preparing food is a "distraction from staring at a screen".

A diversion is generally something welcomed, a distraction is a temporary affliction that stops you from what you were originally doing.

The implication being that jacobolus seems to like getting away from the computer screen to prepare food, while for Rowdy it is a temporary distraction that prevents Rowdy from staring at a computer screen.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 07:37:42 »
One of my favourite meals is indeed steak. Just steak. Rare. With nothing else.

Raw meat can also be great. A good steak tartare or filet americain or ox sausage, yummy.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 07:47:09 »
One of my favourite meals is indeed steak. Just steak. Rare. With nothing else.

Raw meat can also be great. A good steak tartare or filet americain or ox sausage, yummy.

Do you cook it even?

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 08:02:06 »
It's really simple: The secret to good cooking starts with good ingredients.
yep, this is rule #1 in any italian cookbook

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 08:34:13 »
Alcohol. A good bottle of wine/beer/cider can add to the flavor of the dish and pair well, adding to the experience.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 08:55:43 »
Alcohol. A good bottle of wine/beer/cider can add to the flavor of the dish and pair well, adding to the experience.

I put cognac in my onion soup. It's that little touch between tasty and great.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 09:18:03 »
I agree with good ingredients. One mustn't make a peanut butter sandwich out of ordinary peanut butter. Also, don't forget the bread! Quality of bread is also very important.

If I could order a rare steak at a restaurant I would still eat my steak rare. Seems like a lot of American restaurants won't serve rare steaks because it is a health code violation. :'( (or to shield people from the sight of blood)
Chris Schammert

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 10:36:51 »

That's the same as saying.. yea cocaine makes everything better.. 

Of course it does ....

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 10:57:57 »
I've used flavored vodka to caramelize certain meats. Beautiful flavor, but I try not to do it too often because I'm lazy and people seem to love it :))
Chris Schammert

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 11:00:06 »

That's the same as saying.. yea cocaine makes everything better.. 

Of course it does ....
Only good if sniffing food
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 11:21:10 »
I've used flavored vodka to caramelize certain meats. Beautiful flavor, but I try not to do it too often because I'm lazy and people seem to love it :))

Whiskey is perfect for this, a bit of bourbon added to a burger opens it up while its in the pan.