Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1249000 times)

Offline yicaoyimu

Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #2950 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 12:00:04 »
Anyone know when these will be avalible again?
The latest Massdrop run is closed already?
I have seen a few ready-made Massdrop-ErgoDox keyboards for sale now and then.

Technically, the plans are free and parts are available from other sources. You can get the PCB at MechanicalKeyboards.com.
There is a parts list on ErgoDox.org with links to where to buy components in the US.
There are projects on this forum for other types of cases.
The PCB supports PCB-mounted switches so you won't need[/] any plate.
Keycaps are a bit harder to source. Unfortunately, the board does not support anything but 1.5u modifiers in the outermost columns.

The ongoing Hyper Fuse GB has Ergodox set (SP DSA caps).

And thanks for pointing out a way to build Ergodox without Massdrop. I didn't realise MK has Ergodox PCB in stock.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2951 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 12:37:08 »
I can cut acrylic cases if needed, just shoot me a PM.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #2952 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 14:39:38 »
Just saw this on massdrop : https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ergodox-top-sheet

Aluminium top sheets for ergodox case!

Enjoy!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #2953 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 16:50:25 »
Keycaps are a bit harder to source. Unfortunately, the board does not support anything but 1.5u modifiers in the outermost columns.

If you'll be using a QWERTY layout and want labeled caps, IMO the best option is to get a cheap used Cherry G81 off eBay to scavenge caps from, then fill out the remaining 1.5x and 2x keys with $1 blank caps from Signature Plastics.

If you want a blank cap set, the cheapest option would be to wait for MD to offer another group buy round for blank ErgoDox cap sets (they seem to alternate offering DSA one round, then DCS the next, etc.). If you don't want to use MD for some reason, you can get an 87-key (tenkeyless) set from WASD or eBay, use the F-key caps in the set for any missing 1x spots, and fill out the remaining 1.5/2x keys from them or Signature Plastics.

Personally, I would LOVE to see MD offer a group buy for labeled DSA caps (at least the 1x keys), which would be readily rearrangeable into any desired layout without running afoul of row profiling.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #2954 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 20:28:05 »
This might be a dumb question, but could someone tell me which files I need to make those layered acrylic case? I am totally lost in those 9 different case design files on Ergodox site.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2955 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 01:38:55 »
You need the layered design by litster files.

Offline seferphier

« Reply #2956 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 03:15:04 »
Is there any way to make my Ergodox metal plated? really miss the clacky feel of filcos.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #2957 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 06:14:31 »
So, the left side of my Ergodox just stopped working.  The computer told me that a USB device is drawing too much power and had to shut it off.  I have owned and used this keyboard since June and this has never been an issue.  Anybody know what's up?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Larken

« Reply #2958 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 06:22:11 »
So, the left side of my Ergodox just stopped working.  The computer told me that a USB device is drawing too much power and had to shut it off.  I have owned and used this keyboard since June and this has never been an issue.  Anybody know what's up?

several possible points of failure - the expander, the 3.5mm jacks (both of which are less likely) and the more likely culprit - the trrs cable. I have had both stock cables from two kits fail on me with no reason whatsoever. Stripping the cables afterward revealed a broken wire inside both cables.

edit: if you have a multimeter, you could easily test if its the case.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #2959 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 08:22:57 »

several possible points of failure - the expander, the 3.5mm jacks (both of which are less likely) and the more likely culprit - the trrs cable. I have had both stock cables from two kits fail on me with no reason whatsoever. Stripping the cables afterward revealed a broken wire inside both cables.

edit: if you have a multimeter, you could easily test if its the case.

I do not have a multimeter.

I had suspicions it might be the TRSS cable, considering the right side with the direct connection to the computer is working fine.  I have another TRSS cable laying around and I will plug that in and see what happens.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #2960 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 16:21:36 »
Yep, it was the TRSS cable.  I wonder where I could find some of higher quality, if that is possible.

Offline ic07

« Reply #2961 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 16:26:21 »
IIRC I got mine here during the prototype phase, and haven't had any problems with it this whole time.  I tend to be rather gentle with my cables though, so of course YMMV.

Edit:  There have also been a few posts around here about people making their own, along with some to sell - much more expensive, but correspondingly better build and prettier :) .  Don't have time to find the links though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2013, 16:28:16 by ic07 »

Offline jalli

« Reply #2962 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 17:54:07 »
For those that want "fancy" cables there are also some ebay options:

Connectors:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350883221553

White flat cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350890066310
Antonia

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2963 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 18:59:30 »
For those that want "fancy" cables there are also some ebay options:

Connectors:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350883221553

White flat cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350890066310

I used these when i made my cable
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130864029493

but wow ebay just came up with a lot more options like that one you linked, they didn't have these earlier this year i didnt see.

time to make me some more trrs cables :D

Offline Larken

« Reply #2964 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 22:08:50 »
I used similar connectors to what jalli linked for the ones I made, and have also tried that Glod used too; while prettier, those in jalli's link are harder to work with as there aren't tabs to hook the wire to before soldering. Its a straight 4 pole design, and anything thicker than 26 awg wires will have a hard time adhering to the metal contacts. I opted for a one with a wider and shorter barrel casing like these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-New-3-5mm-1-8-Stereo-TRRS-4-pole-Plug-A-V-Connector-for-iPhone-Headphone-/170881460226?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item27c9542802

You can see what you have to work with on the inside. Quite a nightmare to solder with less flexible wires.

I used 26 awg audio wire from btg (about 3.20 usd for a cable 1 ft long, braided design requires whatever length x4) to make mine, and have been rather pleased with the flexibility and quality of the stranded wire (though way overkill for a keyboard). The result is the bottom cable in this picture.

An alternative for a larger quantity of cheaper stranded wires would be those from NTE, about 6 usd for 25 ft of wire).

I can help with regards to the actual making of trrs cables, but shipping materials to and from Singapore would make the costs stupidly and unnecessarily expensive.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2965 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 03:50:42 »
I used these when i made my cable
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130864029493
Those looks like the one that Pexon PCs used. I see his ErgoDox replacement cables are no longer available on his/their site. (isn't it a one-man operation? ...)

Offline syntaxritual

« Reply #2966 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 16:29:47 »
Ergodox.org downloads are broken at the moment, and I need the *.dxf files for the acrylic case to have it made. Could someone post a working link, or the zip for the dxf's?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2967 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 16:54:22 »
I think moz has a updated design of the acrylic case.

Offline syntaxritual

« Reply #2968 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 16:56:25 »
Awesome, I'm pretty new here.... where/who is this Moz? :)

Thanks for the reply!

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #2969 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 19:39:09 »
Actually, like one or two pages back MOZ posts to the thread the updated plate three, although since they're otherwise the same and the ergodox site was working, that's all he's posted here, unless he's gone back and edited it to carry the rest of the files.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline orki

« Reply #2970 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 16:42:42 »
(1) I have been using one of my two ergodoxen from the third MAssdrop group buy. The main issue I have with it relates to the screws in the acrylic case sticking out. Here's a picture:
41179-0

There have been mentions of rubber feet, but I haven't been able to track any down (probably due to not knowing what to look for). Is there a good solution?

(2) For my second ErgoDox, the mini-USB female connector that was shipped seems to be broken; one of the pins is actually missing. Is there a way to source it cheaply? I am in Southern California and wouldn't mind driving a bit.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2971 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 19:13:26 »
(1) I have been using one of my two ergodoxen from the third MAssdrop group buy. The main issue I have with it relates to the screws in the acrylic case sticking out. Here's a picture:
(Attachment Link)

There have been mentions of rubber feet, but I haven't been able to track any down (probably due to not knowing what to look for). Is there a good solution?

(2) For my second ErgoDox, the mini-USB female connector that was shipped seems to be broken; one of the pins is actually missing. Is there a way to source it cheaply? I am in Southern California and wouldn't mind driving a bit.

I put them in the other way around, so that the bolt heads face downward since I like to think they're gentler on the surface underneath.

Offline orki

« Reply #2972 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 19:23:10 »
(Attachment Link)

I put them in the other way around, so that the bolt heads face downward since I like to think they're gentler on the surface underneath.

Hmmm, that's possible but it'd look pretty ugly. I am still holding out hope for a cleaner solution.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2973 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 19:26:14 »
If you have a drill, you can countersink them.

Offline jalli

« Reply #2974 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 20:49:56 »
I'm still waiting for my Ergodox kit but from the first day I saw images of those bolts/nuts I figured they had to go.

I'm thinking countersunk bolts with countersunk nuts, since countersunk nuts are a bit hard to come by I might use nutserts and glue them in place (pressing/riveting would probably crack the acrylic).

In regards to the acrylic in general, be careful when drilling and tightening the bolts as to not crack it, some people actually operate their drills in reverse and use the heat to "melt" rather than bite into the plastic but I'm not sure if that would even work with a countersink.

For those of you who have not seen many countersunk nuts before you can see some examples here:

http://pfahl-verbindungstechnik.de/rundmuttern/rs/huelsenmuttertyprsm68x20stahlverzinkt10st.php

http://pfahl-verbindungstechnik.de/rundmuttern/rs/huelsenmuttertyprsm68x20stahlschwarz10st.php

Ebay Store:
http://stores.ebay.de/PFAHL-Verbindungstechnik?_rdc=1

I'm hoping to find something in North America but I might end up trying to order from those guys.
Antonia

Offline shad

« Reply #2975 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 11:00:43 »
(Attachment Link)

I'm pretty happy with my cheap solution that consists on using o-ring. I bought them to "silence" the keycaps and I had quite a lot of spare. I place an o-ring on top of an other and glue them to keep it this way.
It fits tightly around the screw (I don't need to glue them to the screw), preventing it from scratching the table or even moving while I type.

I'll post some pictures later on if time permit (and people are interested).

Regards,
shad

Offline nodnerb

« Reply #2976 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:46:40 »
I turned the bolts upside-down to you and covered them with some sugru. Non-slip and doesn't scratch.
Ergodox, Kinesis contoured (ps/2), Sanwa vertical mouse

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2977 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 18:46:53 »
the mass drop pcb does not support pcb stabilizers, a later revision that mechanicalkeyboards.com sells does support pcb stabilizers

however that doesn't really matter, the litster acrylic case massdrop sells only supports costar stabilizers and does not include them.

That's too bad. Do you know how I can get an Ergodox that supports stabilizer then (other than making pcb and cases all by myself)?

EDIT:

Never mind. Costar stab is ok too.

Costar stab is supported... REQUIRES minor modification..

PM for details.

Offline jalli

RGB Backlight for Ergodox
« Reply #2978 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 23:01:31 »
Been having some fun recently designing an RGB backlight solution for the Ergodox, I welcome all comments, suggestions, modifications and pull requests.

1. The design uses one mid-high power RGB LED per half, a light pipe is used to direct this into .75mm fiber optic cables, one per key.
2. The optical fibers are routed via a hole to the back of the keyboard where each fiber is routed to the key in question and up just like one lead for a normal key LED.
3. There are several components to this, rather than building my own driver(s) for the LEDs and to maximise efficiency for the 500mA USB limit I used a ready made driver.
4. Components:
  • 2x LM3549 - $14.2@Mouser
  • 2x LPF-R011362S $1.5@Farnell
  • 2x RGB LED LRTB C9TP $7.14@Mouser
  • 80x 0.75mm Fiber Optic cables, 200mm each $14@Ebay
  • 2x Capacitor 10 µF,6.3V/10V X7R C1206C106J8RACTU 3.88@Mouser
  • 2x Capacitor 4.7 µF,6.3V/10V X7R C1206C475J8NACTU 2.74@Mouser
  • 2x Inductor 2.2 µH, 1900 mA L1210R2R2MDWIT 1.866@Mouser

The driver is configured via I2C so it uses the same bus as the keyboard halves communicate with and the LED can be placed on either side although the controller and parts are confined to a single side only.

Total buying individual components: $42.3
Total when buying in bulk, approx: $20

Here is a snapshot of the PCB as it is currently:
[ Specified attachment is not available ]

I still need to work on the masks, case modifications, some more PCB mods and optimisations but I think the design should work.

The PCB and Schematics are already on Github:
https://github.com/jalli/ErgoDox
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2013, 23:03:58 by jalli »
Antonia

Offline jalli

« Reply #2979 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 00:41:00 »
Well, I have finished everything up and today I ordered the parts and the PCBs, let's hope I got everything right!

If everything works out I'll have all the parts by middle of December so I can solder it all up and give it a test.

I don't recommend anyone order one until I have tested everything out but in case you are curious what a one off PCB costs they are $226.15 for a set of 3 (ouch).

Updated link to latest version of PCB:
http://oshpark.com/shared_projects/aExJPU0W
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 November 2013, 13:53:29 by jalli »
Antonia

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2980 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 10:55:21 »
keep us informed, i would def be interested in swapping out my pcb with a backlit one, mostly just for looks lol. im sure many would split the cost of buying a few :)

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #2981 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 11:05:11 »
Nice, and fix those secondary switch locations in the outer column while you are at it... ;)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2982 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 11:14:36 »
oh and will this new design work with the existing litster style acrylic case or will we need a new case design cut? i guess i should hold off my excitement until december/january. lol

Offline jalli

« Reply #2983 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 09:02:52 »
Nice, and fix those secondary switch locations in the outer column while you are at it... ;)

I canceled my order the same night when I found a bug in the soldermask for LED driver, over the weekend I'm going to fix it and any other issues.

I'll fix those secondary switch locations while I'm at it, I also need to do some work on the MCP23018 to the LED driver.

One idea that I had was to add the circuits to allow the Teensy components to optionally be soldered directly on the the PCB instead of a separate board since the backlight already includes SMD components, any thoughts on this?

Anyone have any other requests while I'm at it?

I'm hoping the Lister case will will work with the RGB backlight components you might need to remove some material, if so it should be easy using a dremel tool or a drill press.

Antonia

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #2984 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 05:54:02 »
If you redesign the ErgoDox to take SMD components directly, you've ticked one row off on my to-do-list ;) My thought is that the components should be possible to fit somewhere lower down on the board to allow for the top to be cut more flush to the top switches. I believe the MCP23018 comes in a QFP as well or a TSSOP or something similar in pitch. Another idea would be to investigate the possibility to have both sides using an ATmega and make them talk to eachother over ISP, but I don't know anything about that protocol...

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2985 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 07:34:11 »
You might want to dicuss matters with regack as he too has worked quite a bit on smd component based pcb, even mcp23018 in qfp package while designing theergot pcb and the ghpad.

Offline jalli

« Reply #2986 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 14:28:20 »
I've had a look at allowing the Teensy to be replaced on-board SMD components and I think it's near impossible with out a fairly extensive redesign.

The one thing I'm not happy with is that on the MCP23018 side the assembler will have to bridge the normal LED pins to the RGB Backlight pins, hence loosing the ability to have the normal LEDs on one side.

I don't think it's a huge issue but it still bothers me a bit, unfortunately I can't see any way around it other than using a second Teensy for the "left" side or replacing the MCP23018 with another chip with more IO pins.

I fixed the secondary switch locations in the outside row, here is the current PCB as I ordered it.

Additional information: The guys at OSH Park have been super great and pointed out that they don't do plated slots, hence as shown below there is a tiny dot where the USB connector calls for plated slots, I'll sort it out afterwards using a drill but for future runs it might be better to replace it with a via large enough to accommodate the flat tabs.

Update:

Please do not order the PCB as is, it's missing a ground connection to two pads, I'll upload a new version after testing and debugging which fixes any known issues.

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:56:19 by jalli »
Antonia

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #2987 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 21:53:37 »
(Attachment Link)

I use plastic screws, and the extruding part can be cut if necessary.

Since I didn't catch up the 4th round in Massdrop, I ordered all the parts my self. The USB connectors and other parts are from Digikeys, as described in ergodox.org

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #2988 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 22:01:24 »
Well, I have finished everything up and today I ordered the parts and the PCBs, let's hope I got everything right!

If everything works out I'll have all the parts by middle of December so I can solder it all up and give it a test.

I don't recommend anyone order one until I have tested everything out but in case you are curious what a one off PCB costs they are $226.15 for a set of 3 (ouch).

Updated link to latest version of PCB:
http://oshpark.com/shared_projects/aExJPU0W

I have ordered the original PCB from a local source, the price is roughly $80 (10 pcs).

45505-0

There are some tiny glitches (I have to remove protecting paints on some soldering points manually), but overall the price is acceptable. Next time I might order some red boards for MX red switches...

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2989 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 22:22:22 »
I have ordered the original PCB from a local source, the price is roughly $80 (10 pcs).

(Attachment Link)

There are some tiny glitches (I have to remove protecting paints on some soldering points manually), but overall the price is acceptable. Next time I might order some red boards for MX red switches...

Where are you located?

Offline jalli

« Reply #2990 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 22:52:04 »

(Attachment Link)

Where are you located?

Looks like he is in Taiwan, makes me feel bad about paying 10 times the price :P

Kinda hard to see the board quality from the pictures, would be very interested in seeing something with higher resolution.

The original PCB uses mostly through hole and large components with large pads where .1mm errors in soldermask, pads, vias and drill patterns probably aren't a big deal but when you start dealing with smaller things like my LED driver the total width of each pad is .254mm, if the soldermask is off by .1mm that's a big deal.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some boards might not be FR4 Tg170° or better, these numbers basically tell you about the board strength, fire retardant properties, heat tolerance, etc.

Finally you have to look at the quality of the pads, how flat they are, what plating do they have etc, a pad lifting off when you have soldered most of the components is a bad bad thing.

If anyone is interested in learning a bit more about PCBs I recommend: http://www.youtube.com/user/EEVblog/search?query=pcb
Antonia

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #2991 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 23:18:56 »

Looks like he is in Taiwan, makes me feel bad about paying 10 times the price :P

Kinda hard to see the board quality from the pictures, would be very interested in seeing something with higher resolution.

The original PCB uses mostly through hole and large components with large pads where .1mm errors in soldermask, pads, vias and drill patterns probably aren't a big deal but when you start dealing with smaller things like my LED driver the total width of each pad is .254mm, if the soldermask is off by .1mm that's a big deal.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some boards might not be FR4 Tg170° or better, these numbers basically tell you about the board strength, fire retardant properties, heat tolerance, etc.

Finally you have to look at the quality of the pads, how flat they are, what plating do they have etc, a pad lifting off when you have soldered most of the components is a bad bad thing.

If anyone is interested in learning a bit more about PCBs I recommend: http://www.youtube.com/user/EEVblog/search?query=pcb

Yes, I am in Taiwan.

I know nothing about electronics, and that's why the left part of my ErgoDox is still dead (I put IC in the wrong way, my bad). I ordered these PCBs from here http://easypcbweb.blogspot.tw/; however the webpage is in Traditional Chinese. According to the webpage, the PCBs use FR4 material. But other than that, I don't know how accurate the soldermasks could be. However, if your design is finalized, I would really like to test print some boards, and to see how it works.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2992 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 23:22:23 »
Nice that you have holes for PCB-mounted stabilisers. Too bad about the outermost columns not being fixed, though.

Offline jalli

« Reply #2993 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 23:36:05 »
Yes, I am in Taiwan.

I know nothing about electronics, and that's why the left part of my ErgoDox is still dead (I put IC in the wrong way, my bad). I ordered these PCBs from here http://easypcbweb.blogspot.tw/; however the webpage is in Traditional Chinese. According to the webpage, the PCBs use FR4 material. But other than that, I don't know how accurate the soldermasks could be. However, if your design is finalized, I would really like to test print some boards, and to see how it works.

I'm still waiting for everything to arrive here so I can test it all out, I'll be sure to post when I'm done, I'm more than a little envious you can get your PCBs for that price :)

if you have more pictures I'd be really interested if you could post some.
Antonia

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #2994 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 06:06:52 »
I'm still waiting for everything to arrive here so I can test it all out, I'll be sure to post when I'm done, I'm more than a little envious you can get your PCBs for that price :)

if you have more pictures I'd be really interested if you could post some.

OK, I have taken some closed-up pictures, but they are too big to upload here.
You can see the photos at the following G+ album
https://plus.google.com/photos/106952917630137220583/albums/5949790884465297665?authkey=CKqXk9WooJiv1QE
If you need more details, please let me know

Offline jalli

« Reply #2995 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 10:02:13 »

https://plus.google.com/photos/106952917630137220583/albums/5949790884465297665?authkey=CKqXk9WooJiv1QE

Thanks!

Pros
    Looks like the plated slot for the USB connector is properly done.

Cons
    On SW:07 (last photo, switch on the top left thumb section) it looks like the through hole(s) on the right have not been plated at all, if this is the case it could cause some serious issues.
Antonia

Offline sordna

« Reply #2996 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 11:12:11 »

Cons
    On SW:07 (last photo, switch on the top left thumb section) it looks like the through hole(s) on the right have not been plated at all, if this is the case it could cause some serious issues.

Good catch! Yes this isn't good, but as long as you use flux to make sure the solder will flow (and scrape any insulating material off the PCB beforehand if the pad isn't large enough) the result will be fine. (At the cost of extra prep work and time).
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #2997 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 12:09:04 »
Could be just the solder mask that is missing the opening for the pads. There will still be some extra work to remove it of course.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #2998 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 17:04:16 »
Guys, please, I want to cut Litster's acrylic case but I could not find the required thickness of each layer to make the order.

Deskthority wiki says
   "In litster's case design, the case is built from layers of acrylic (or aluminium) bolted together. The switch mounting plate layer is thicker than the usual 1.5 mm, making the switches friction-fit rather than snapped on ..."

By this picture it seems that the layers 2,3 and 4 are using the same thickness ...

Please?
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 November 2013, 17:05:49 by agodinhost »
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #2999 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 17:11:18 »
Cons

Actually, the entire thumbkey region suffered the same issue. I have to scratch the paints manually.