Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3553810 times)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #12500 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 16:12:34 »
Does mouser have any purple 2x3x4 leds? I can't find any, or any 2x3x4 leds for that matter?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #12501 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 16:15:03 »
Does mouser have any purple 2x3x4 leds? I can't find any, or any 2x3x4 leds for that matter?

I don't think so. Check the FAQ in the OP of this thread for links to them, though.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Acerk

• I pay attention to details!
« Reply #12502 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 16:55:48 »
I've been looking into putting a Phantom in my QFR. Are there any plate mounts with special cutouts, that will fit, available on the market? If not, are there any PCB's with PCB-mounts?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12503 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 16:56:45 »
I've been looking into putting a Phantom in my QFR. Are there any plate mounts with special cutouts, that will fit, available on the market? If not, are there any PCB's with PCB-mounts?

I'm not following your question. Are you looking for a plate? What exactly do you mean by "plate mounts" and "PCB mounts"?

Offline Acerk

« Reply #12504 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 17:09:31 »
I'm not following your question. Are you looking for a plate? What exactly do you mean by "plate mounts" and "PCB mounts"?
Sorry about that. Basically, I want to be able to swap switch tops on my keyboard, and I don't know if there's any place to purchase a fitting plate mount for that at the moment. I also wondered whether there were any PCB's that have holes to mount the switches available.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12505 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 17:13:36 »
Sorry about that. Basically, I want to be able to swap switch tops on my keyboard, and I don't know if there's any place to purchase a fitting plate mount for that at the moment. I also wondered whether there were any PCB's that have holes to mount the switches available.

What you're looking for is called a plate and there are no readily available sources of TKL plates that I know of at the moment. Plate mounted typically implies a type of MX switch (Plate mount vs PCB mount). You can always try using swill's plate tool and seeing if a local machine shop will cut one for you.

There are plenty of PCBs which will allow PCB mounted switches. Unfortunately I don't know any custom PCBs off the top of my head which are PCB mounted. I honestly only care about keyboards with plates in them and I'm not picky either way about the PCBs. You'll have to look and see if the ones you find have the proper holes in them. If the PCB you find have that hole pattern (from photekq), it will allow for PCB mounted switches.

Offline Acerk

« Reply #12506 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 17:36:37 »
What you're looking for is called a plate and there are no readily available sources of TKL plates that I know of at the moment. Plate mounted typically implies a type of MX switch (Plate mount vs PCB mount). You can always try using swill's plate tool and seeing if a local machine shop will cut one for you.

There are plenty of PCBs which will allow PCB mounted switches. Unfortunately I don't know any custom PCBs off the top of my head which are PCB mounted. I honestly only care about keyboards with plates in them and I'm not picky either way about the PCBs. You'll have to look and see if the ones you find have the proper holes in them. If the PCB you find have that hole pattern (from photekq), it will allow for PCB mounted switches.
Thanks for the help. I think based on this, it's simpler to try my luck with a PCB-mount.

If anyone knows where I can get my hand on a PCB for QFR, let me know. Will any of the Gon Nerd TKL fit?

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #12507 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 11:25:31 »
Does adding shelf liner inside the case work as well for Topre boards as it does for MX?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #12508 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 12:10:25 »
Are there better springs to put into vintage Cherry MX blues while I have the switches apart or will that defeat the purpose of the "vintage" feel?
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2015, 11:29:27 by digi »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12509 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 13:56:51 »
Are there better springs to put into vintage Cherry MX blues while I have the switches apart or will that defeat the purpose of the "vintage" feel?

I don't want to do the jailhouse mod because I like a hard bottoming out (that's what she said).  :))
I think that negates the purpose of so called vintage or worn switches. I think that the spring, stem, and housing all work together to make the switches feel the way they do.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #12510 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 16:44:13 »
simple question :-)

Is "force" of korean springs (e. g. 60g) measured by A) bottoming out the switch, or by B) compressing the spring to its half length?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12511 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 16:45:54 »

Is "force" of korean springs (e. g. 60g) measured by A) bottoming out the switch, or by B) compressing the spring to its half length?

Activation vs bottoming out

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12512 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 16:45:54 »

It's the force at the actuation point.

Offline Eszett

« Reply #12513 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 16:54:59 »
I thought actuation force, is what Cherry uses as "calculation basis" for their switches; while korean springs are measured otherwise?
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 June 2015, 16:57:12 by Eszett »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12514 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 16:59:07 »
I thought actuation force, is what Cherry uses as "calculation basis" for their switches; while korean springs are measured otherwise?

Cherry is measured at bottom out. Korean springs are measured at actuation force.

Wait a second, I'm confusing myself. Let me doublecheck

Ok yes I confused myself. Cherry is at actuation force. Korean is at bottom out. (From here)

Rkinze did a comparison of Cherry and Korean springs all at bottom out. That article is also linked in the OP.

Also this thread correlates what I said.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 June 2015, 17:06:07 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Eszett

« Reply #12515 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 17:02:32 »
Yes, Captain, it's abit confusing because I've heard different opionions so far.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 June 2015, 17:04:31 by Eszett »

Offline Eszett

« Reply #12516 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 17:06:03 »
@Captain Alright, got it! And thanks for linking the Article of Rkinzw, I will dive into that ...

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #12517 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 21:26:31 »
Does adding shelf liner inside the case work as well for Topre boards as it does for MX?

I was under the impression that shelf liner serves to reduce resonance. If your Topre board sounds hollow or pings (not sure that it could ping) then yeah I think it would.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline greath

« Reply #12518 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 21:34:01 »

I was under the impression that shelf liner serves to reduce resonance. If your Topre board sounds hollow or pings (not sure that it could ping) then yeah I think it would.

I'm curious to try it on the Novatouch tour (if I'm allowed). I remember reading a review a while ago that mentioned one of the complaints about the Novatouch vs Realforce was there was a less solid sounding "Thonk." I wonder if this would have an affect.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12519 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 23:54:31 »
what size of torx screwdriver do I need to open this stupid WEY

or can I just drill it out?
I'll check a bit later on, I put mine back together yesterday and I'm pretty sure I still have the bit out.

edit - T5
thx :thumb:
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12520 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 09:44:54 »

I'm curious to try it on the Novatouch tour (if I'm allowed). I remember reading a review a while ago that mentioned one of the complaints about the Novatouch vs Realforce was there was a less solid sounding "Thonk." I wonder if this would have an affect.

I need to ask if we're allowed to disassemble the keyboards.

Offline greath

« Reply #12521 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 09:50:06 »

I need to ask if we're allowed to disassemble the keyboards.

Yeah, I was definitely going to ask first. I just thought I would be asking you :)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #12522 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 10:36:58 »
Looking to lube my stabilizers, sadly the ones that are refered in op doesn't seem avalaible in europe.

I though of using bike/car or even other hobbies (skate,roller,idk)  grease, what kind of specs should I look into for stab grease?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline greath

« Reply #12523 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 10:39:59 »
Looking to lube my stabilizers, sadly the ones that are refered in op doesn't seem avalaible in europe.

I though of using bike/car or even other hobbies (skate,roller,idk)  grease, what kind of specs should I look into for stab grease?

This is what I currently use and it works quite well.

Thick silicone grease (dielectric) is non-conductive and will stay in place better than a thin lube. There should be an equivalent to the above in plumbing sections of basically and hardware store.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2015, 10:41:34 by greath »

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #12524 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 20:17:45 »
I finished desolding some vintage blacks from a WYSE board. My question is how should I go about to cleaning the switch housing? I have everything separated, but I'm not sure what I should use to clean the switch itself. Thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12525 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 20:19:50 »
I finished desolding some vintage blacks from a WYSE board. My question is how should I go about to cleaning the switch housing? I have everything separated, but I'm not sure what I should use to clean the switch itself. Thanks!

Douse it in isopropyl alcohol or use an ultrasonic cleaner.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #12526 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 20:26:01 »

Thanks, A! Sadly I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner...

Should I use 70% or 90% alcohol? (And how long should I leave it in there?)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12527 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 20:30:59 »

Thanks, A! Sadly I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner...

Should I use 70% or 90% alcohol? (And how long should I leave it in there?)

As high of a percentage as you can find. 90%, 91%, 99%. And leave it on there until it evaporates ;).

Offline greath

« Reply #12528 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 20:35:58 »

I put mine in a plastic jar, submerged them in 91% Iso, and shook it for 45mins or so as I watched TV. They came out super clean.

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2015, 20:38:29 by greath »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12529 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 20:38:47 »

I put mine in a plastic jar, submerged them in 91% Iso, and shook it for 45mins or so as I watched TV. They came out super clean.

Show Image

I dump switches or switch parts into a plastic bin I use for keyboard modding. Douse everything in 91% like it's salt on hot fries. Shake until it evaporates. Greath's method also works I'm sure, thanks for sharing :).

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #12530 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 20:44:24 »

Show Image

I dump switches or switch parts into a plastic bin I use for keyboard modding. Douse everything in 91% like it's salt on hot fries. Shake until it evaporates. Greath's method also works I'm sure, thanks for sharing :).

Thanks to both of you! It's in 99% right now.  ;D!!!!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12532 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 12:16:24 »
M0ar cables = M0ar voltage drop,   correct?

Should be yes

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12533 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 15:50:22 »
I marked it with silver sharpie so when I desolder it I can open it up and compare the spring to another spring

Please take careful pictures of the slider and housing too! Oh and report back. You have a job to do now. Two even! Don't let me down mang ;)
I took pictures of it as I finally got around to it. This will be the only picture of it I have, as when I was putting the spring back into the housing, it went flying into my carpet, and I can't find it. The super light switch is on the left, the regular vintage black is on the right

Untitled by skurela, on Flickr

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #12534 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 07:33:02 »

In general, check for something with PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) AKA Teflon®.

I tried looking at automotive lubricants and ended up with a rebranded Krytox sold for use in the convertible roof mechanism on European cars...naturally this was insanely expensive to buy locally.

I checked bike shops too but the greases and oils had a sulfur odor.

I use Tamiya GP383 Mini 4WD F-Grease (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10131587) that I picked up at a local hobby / model shop.  PM me if you can't find this locally and I can hook you up. :thumb:

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #12535 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 07:37:54 »

In general, check for something with PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) AKA Teflon®.

I tried looking at automotive lubricants and ended up with a rebranded Krytox sold for use in the convertible roof mechanism on European cars...naturally this was insanely expensive to buy locally.

I use Tamiya GP383 Mini 4WD F-Grease (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10131587) that I picked up at a local hobby / model shop.  PM me if you can't find this locally and I can hook you up. :thumb:

Just wanted to point out something here infiniti, not all PTFE is Teflon. Teflon is trademarked by DuPont but they are not the only manufacturer for PTFE. I am interning at a company that works with PTFE now and they have their own trademarked name for PTFE.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #12536 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 07:47:29 »
So you're saying I should look for a teflon based lube insteaf of PTFE?
Both seem to be quite easy to get.
Azerty Propagandiste

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #12537 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 07:49:01 »

Well I mean if you get a Teflon based lube you are getting a PTFE lube.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #12538 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 07:50:59 »

Well I mean if you get a Teflon based lube you are getting a PTFE lube.

Thanks will shop tomorrow and see how it goes.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #12539 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 07:54:35 »

Just wanted to point out something here infiniti, not all PTFE is Teflon. Teflon is trademarked by DuPont but they are not the only manufacturer for PTFE. I am interning at a company that works with PTFE now and they have their own trademarked name for PTFE.

Oh yeah...it should have been "Teflon® AKA PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene)". :-[

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #12540 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 07:59:07 »

I wasn't trying to be an ass just trying to clear the air. I figured you knew what you were talking about but I guess considering it's been ingrained in me that Teflon=PTFE, PTFE!=Teflon, I had to say something. On a side note, PTFE is a pain in the ass to work with.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #12541 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 08:07:15 »

I wasn't trying to be an ass just trying to clear the air. I figured you knew what you were talking about but I guess considering it's been ingrained in me that Teflon=PTFE, PTFE!=Teflon, I had to say something. On a side note, PTFE is a pain in the ass to work with.

No worries man. :cool: It's always good to have passion for your product!

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #12542 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 08:54:16 »
Anybody know can I use a plate with the TEX 60% aluminum case, its the low profile one.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #12543 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 08:57:32 »
Anybody know can I use a plate with the TEX 60% aluminum case, its the low profile one.

pics of it please?

I see no issue with it, if they were designed for poker2 which has a plate it should be fine.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #12544 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 09:11:30 »

Yes, you can use a plate. The plate will be even with the top of the case.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #12545 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 11:44:00 »
Thanks guys LLAP...

Offline flamf

« Reply #12546 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 13:30:26 »
Any physical difference between "vintage black" and new black switches? Other than wear? Searches are giving a bit ambiguous answers

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12547 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 13:35:04 »
Any physical difference between "vintage black" and new black switches? Other than wear? Searches are giving a bit ambiguous answers

Supposedly the logos are different but I honestly haven't been able to figure it out myself.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #12548 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 13:37:05 »

Supposedly the logos are different but I honestly haven't been able to figure it out myself.

The logos definitely are different. Other than that, who knows?

in memoriam

Offline flamf

« Reply #12549 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 13:40:53 »
So, when something is advertised having 'vintage black switches', I'm free to read 'somewhat used black switches'?