Author Topic: Dieting, Gym, and Training.  (Read 47386 times)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
Re: Dieting, Gym, and Training.
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 10:55:17 »
I am a cyclist too.

The best way to prepare for this kind of thing is to train and get in the kilometers (miles) on your bike. Everything else is secondary. Other forms of exercise to get in shape are great, and there are a lot of supporting exercises you can do (for example, working on your core greatly helps with cycling). However, emphasis should be to increase the strength and endurance of your legs. Gradually try to make your rides longer. What I do in preparation for this kind of thing is extending my normal 50-60 km training rides with an additional 10-20 km. On top of that I sometimes do an extra long ride of about 100km on sunday mornings. Eventually I want to get to the point where I can do the 100 km at an acceptable pace without feeling tired or experiencing any discomfort. When I get there, I know I can do twice that distance comfortably at an event (that is not a race).
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 12:37:05 »
Training for a 150 mile bike ride?

Eat right, eat balanced, cycle a lot, could build up some muscles in the gym, but it seems more like a stamina exercise than anything else, so just cycle a lot I guess.

Personally, I would consult a cyclist forum for the best experiences/most researched answers, because most here are here for keyboard stuff, so our interests are all over the place. I do cross fit and boxing for example.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 05:56:48 »
  (I generally do 6-12 mile runs a couple of times a week).

Kudos. I enjoy cycling, but running is hard for me. I have never been a fan. I recently did the 10 km in the Rotterdam marathon, and even though it was not really physically hard ( I guess I could have pushed myself more), half way through I just lose motivation. It is not that I am out of stamina, and I am not exactly bored either, it is more like, I just do not enjoy running as a form of exercise ( I still do it twice a week, but only 4 km each time). The thought of doing 12 miles by myself? It will never happen. Kudos man.

Offline Grimey

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 21:38:30 »
  (I generally do 6-12 mile runs a couple of times a week).

Kudos. I enjoy cycling, but running is hard for me. I have never been a fan. I recently did the 10 km in the Rotterdam marathon, and even though it was not really physically hard ( I guess I could have pushed myself more), half way through I just lose motivation. It is not that I am out of stamina, and I am not exactly bored either, it is more like, I just do not enjoy running as a form of exercise ( I still do it twice a week, but only 4 km each time). The thought of doing 12 miles by myself? It will never happen. Kudos man.

Much thanks, having a dog that needs lots of exercise certainly helps the motivational part.  Cycling is certainly a more satisfying experience for me as well, but running also feels like a nice simplistic alternative now and then. 

Have often thought about getting into swimming at some point ,but the overhead of getting to a pool and back regularly keeps me away.
Erlang your pants off

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 21:39:49 »
This should turn into a biking thread so I can start looking into bikes.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 21:51:35 »
Don't do it TJ! Bikes will cost you a lot more than keyboards! It's a trap.
Cycling is my first love for sure. It's a great way to stay in shape or get in shape.
You guys should start playing bike polo!

{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 22:00:21 »
Cycling is my first love for sure. It's a great way to stay in shape or get in shape.

So's head-fi, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 22:02:00 »

So's head-fi, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it.
Yeah, that place makes mah wallet hurt too! It's rough having some many hobbies!  ;D
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline dante

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 22:12:51 »
down to 276 from 330.  sucks almost losing 60 lbs and still being fat.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 20:34:20 »

Better than gaining an additional 60 pounds.  You are headed in the right direction and that is a significant accomplishment!  Congrats!!

Offline iri

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 04:56:22 »
i know north hollywood has a pretty famous muay thai gym, and their rates aren't bad. going to see if i can get into that again
yes, you can and you will.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 06:58:59 »

It is my main hobby as well.

It is much worse than keyboards in the sense that it is a bottomless pit that you can keep throwing money at. My carbon bottle cages are almost as expensive as my Filco  :-X
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 June 2013, 07:01:09 by Grim Fandango »

Offline dante

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 17:45:33 »

Better than gaining an additional 60 pounds.  You are headed in the right direction and that is a significant accomplishment!  Congrats!!

Thanks.. I *was* at 267 but am back at 273 due to a weak mind and a couple of cheat meals.

I'm going to need to get into lifting weights / cardio once I approach the 180's because as soon as I get off this insane diet the weight is going to pour back on I'm afraid.

I can't believe my basal rate is at 2,900 cals.  Unless I incorporate fast food how the **** am I supposed to eat that much healthy food?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 17:46:24 »
How did you figure out your Basal rate?

Offline dante

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 17:47:53 »

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 20:00:30 »
I'm getting a bike!! And then some tattoos since I will be a biker.
Keyboardless

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 21:26:20 »
What about these 2, just to warm-up ;-)

[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline calavera

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 21:30:14 »
Anyone know a website for guides on healthy cooking that's not too complicated? I get tired of eating the same stuff fairly quick. :(

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 21:31:19 »
Anyone know a website for guides on healthy cooking that's not too complicated? I get tired of eating the same stuff fairly quick. :(

tj gave me this link

http://www.johnstonefitness.com/recipes/browse-recipes/entrees/
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 21:52:28 »
CROSSFIT
I want. It's across the street from where I moved.
Big benefit of crossfit is "community" they do their stuff as a group, interactive, motivating AND (at least here) there is a strong social component. They do some travel things and some travel/volunteer things. Interesting. I'll look into that more.
$200 month, kinda pricey for me these days, but I'm thinking about cardio for 30 days, cross fit for 90 days to harden up any soft areas, then take it from there.

Demmi, get off your ass yet? :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 22:06:15 »

Thanks for your suggestions cactux. Glad to know you're still alive  ;D
Keyboardless

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 22:09:32 »
Thx mate. Still catching some waves ;-)

Thanks for your suggestions cactux. Glad to know you're still alive  ;D
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline vyshane

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 22:23:28 »
Weight loss is easier if you can somehow quantify and measure what you need to do to achieve your goal weight. The science is actually pretty simple. It revolves around calories (a measurement unit for energy).

Your body needs energy to survive, and it gets that energy from food. Eating is good - it gives you the calories you need to live. But the problem is, if you eat more calories than your body needs, these extra calories are stored by your body. Over time, storing calories in this way makes you gain weight. If, on the other hand, you burn more calories than you eat, you will slowly lose weight.

Figure out how many calories your body needs daily (your Basal Metabolic Rate, BMR). You can use the Mifflin St Jeor equation to do that and apply a physical activity level multiplier based on your lifestyle. A quick trip to Wikipedia should give you the information that you need.

Then, if you want to lose weight, set a net daily calorie target of, around 500 calories less than your BMR. If you don't exercise, you can consume that amount in a day. If you exercise, you can "eat back" the calories burned through exercise. As long as you hit your calorie target, you will lose weight. You should not set a target that is too low though, since your body will go into starvation mode and your metabolic rate will drop, meaning that your body needs less energy to survive. So, once you set your target, aim to hit it, as opposed to trying to come in as far under the target as possible.

Note that everybody is different, so the target that you calculate may need adjustment. If you find that you're not losing weight after two weeks of consistently hitting your target, revise your target down by say 200 calories.

So, build an awareness of how many calories you're taking in from food versus how many calories you're burning through your lifestyle and exercise. It doesn't matter what you're eating as long as you hit your net daily calorie target. You can actually eat whatever you want. The trick is portion control.

The science is pretty simple. However, the challenge is twofold:

1) You need to know how many calories you're taking in through food, and you need to know how many calories you're burning through exercise.

2) You need to keep track of the above.

In my personal opinion, the most convenient way to do that is to use a mobile app. There are several out there. A search for "calorie counter" should bring up the most popular ones. Most of these apps come with a built in food database. You search for what you eat, and how much of it, and the app knows how many calories you've consumed. Some calorie counting apps are able to estimate how many calories you burn through exercise as well. While evaluating them, compare features and ease of use, but bear in mind that the app will only be as accurate as the database that it relies on.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dietician! I'm an app developer and the company I work for is in the weight loss field. But I'm not a dietician. Use the above information as a starting point for your own research :-)

Disclaimer 2: This post does not reflect my employer's opinion. Only my own.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 June 2013, 22:25:15 by vyshane »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 22:29:09 »
CROSSFIT
I want. It's across the street from where I moved.
Big benefit of crossfit is "community" they do their stuff as a group, interactive, motivating AND (at least here) there is a strong social component. They do some travel things and some travel/volunteer things. Interesting. I'll look into that more.
$200 month, kinda pricey for me these days, but I'm thinking about cardio for 30 days, cross fit for 90 days to harden up any soft areas, then take it from there.

Demmi, get off your ass yet? :)

yes sir. saturday put in 30 miles. took sunday off. monday put in another 30 miles. and today im about to head to the gym.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 18:48:30 »
Weight loss is easier if you can somehow quantify and measure what you need to do to achieve your goal weight. The science is actually pretty simple. It revolves around calories (a measurement unit for energy).

Your body needs energy to survive, and it gets that energy from food. Eating is good - it gives you the calories you need to live. But the problem is, if you eat more calories than your body needs, these extra calories are stored by your body. Over time, storing calories in this way makes you gain weight. If, on the other hand, you burn more calories than you eat, you will slowly lose weight.

Figure out how many calories your body needs daily (your Basal Metabolic Rate, BMR). You can use the Mifflin St Jeor equation to do that and apply a physical activity level multiplier based on your lifestyle. A quick trip to Wikipedia should give you the information that you need.

Then, if you want to lose weight, set a net daily calorie target of, around 500 calories less than your BMR. If you don't exercise, you can consume that amount in a day. If you exercise, you can "eat back" the calories burned through exercise. As long as you hit your calorie target, you will lose weight. You should not set a target that is too low though, since your body will go into starvation mode and your metabolic rate will drop, meaning that your body needs less energy to survive. So, once you set your target, aim to hit it, as opposed to trying to come in as far under the target as possible.

Note that everybody is different, so the target that you calculate may need adjustment. If you find that you're not losing weight after two weeks of consistently hitting your target, revise your target down by say 200 calories.

So, build an awareness of how many calories you're taking in from food versus how many calories you're burning through your lifestyle and exercise. It doesn't matter what you're eating as long as you hit your net daily calorie target. You can actually eat whatever you want. The trick is portion control.

The science is pretty simple. However, the challenge is twofold:

1) You need to know how many calories you're taking in through food, and you need to know how many calories you're burning through exercise.

2) You need to keep track of the above.

In my personal opinion, the most convenient way to do that is to use a mobile app. There are several out there. A search for "calorie counter" should bring up the most popular ones. Most of these apps come with a built in food database. You search for what you eat, and how much of it, and the app knows how many calories you've consumed. Some calorie counting apps are able to estimate how many calories you burn through exercise as well. While evaluating them, compare features and ease of use, but bear in mind that the app will only be as accurate as the database that it relies on.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dietician! I'm an app developer and the company I work for is in the weight loss field. But I'm not a dietician. Use the above information as a starting point for your own research :-)

Disclaimer 2: This post does not reflect my employer's opinion. Only my own.

I guess it depends on the person. I have never really had to diet. But for me, what works best is more of a common sense approach to staying healthy. I know and have always known how to be in shape. So do most people. I think it is a good thing to be able to quantify things, but you also run the risk of over-complicating something that is incredibly easy to most people.

I say this specifically because I have one over weight friend who had his diets and food intake down to a science. No doubt he knows more about it than me and the people we hang out with. Yet, when I try to interest him to work out with me he says he follows his own schedule. And when we go to the grocery store (it is opposite the building we live in we go together sometimes) I see him buying all sorts of stuff I would not touch with a 10 foot pole, but has all kind of reasons why it is ok.....

I think he would be better off getting a roadbike, go on some rides with me at least twice a week. Stop buying the stuff that common sense tells you is unhealthy no matter what you read in a book. Just watch his food intake (and be honest with himself) and eat fruit  when he is hungry etc. And he would lose all that weight in 6 months. No science, just what your mom told you to do.

Meh, I'm happier being a little chunky and eating my favorite foods, drinking beers, and not torturing myself with sweaty time-consuming make me feel like **** exercise regiments. Some people say they actually like working out, but that's just the lie you tell yourself to convince the brain it doesn't completely suck. Now video games, alcohol, and buffalo wings is something I can get behind!

I disagree with this because a work out can mean so many things. Sure there are certain things I hate to do (jogging) but there are so many sports that I love, that would also be a "workout". I think what more people should do is find something they enjoy, instead of making themselves walk on a damn treadmill for 30 minutes every day.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 June 2013, 18:52:08 by Grim Fandango »

Offline vyshane

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 21:01:34 »
I guess it depends on the person. I have never really had to diet. But for me, what works best is more of a common sense approach to staying healthy. I know and have always known how to be in shape. So do most people. I think it is a good thing to be able to quantify things, but you also run the risk of over-complicating something that is incredibly easy to most people.

I say this specifically because I have one over weight friend who had his diets and food intake down to a science. No doubt he knows more about it than me and the people we hang out with. Yet, when I try to interest him to work out with me he says he follows his own schedule. And when we go to the grocery store (it is opposite the building we live in we go together sometimes) I see him buying all sorts of stuff I would not touch with a 10 foot pole, but has all kind of reasons why it is ok.....

I think he would be better off getting a roadbike, go on some rides with me at least twice a week. Stop buying the stuff that common sense tells you is unhealthy no matter what you read in a book. Just watch his food intake (and be honest with himself) and eat fruit  when he is hungry etc. And he would lose all that weight in 6 months. No science, just what your mom told you to do.

Two things:

1) Some people do not have what you call the "common sense" that you speak of. You seem to know what your body requires in terms of diet and exercise. Other people may not even realise that they need to adjust their diet. Or they want to lose weight, and it seems obvious that they need to eat less. But how much less? Most people aren't good with portion size. Quantifying things help them create better eating habits. Once someone has an awareness of the sort of foods that they should eat, and how much, they don't have to keep logging their meals. The point is to build that awareness. One has to start somewhere. This is a solution that is more likely to stand the test of time. Someone could diet like crazy, lose 10kgs, then put it back on quickly because the crazy diet is not sustainable. They go from overeating to undereating and don't actually know what is the sustainable amount that they should be aiming for. Seems like common sense to you, but many people struggle with this.

2) If your friend knows more than you, then his problem is psychological and common sense is not the problem here. Let's say that my doctor tells me that I need to lose 30kgs. I could look in the mirror every evening and think that this is too hard - I'm not seeing any difference yet. Progress is so slow. I can't do this. Or, I could look at my log and see that I've hit my target. One more day done, we're good. A structured approach can help with the stress.

Offline dante

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 21:07:36 »
After an exhaustive amount of research there seems to be two current camps:

The Veggie/Vegan/Starchy/Sometimes no Oil guys and the other camp the Paleo/Low carb guys.

Both camps have Doctors/experts who back up each diet or debunk the other one.

But what both fail to realize is maybe the reason both camps feel more healthy is because they both got rid of the processed crap in their diets.

As much as I want to switch to a 100% vegetarian diet - because I feel it's morally the right thing to do and also science kind of backs it up - nothing makes me feel better than eating meat and eggs.  I know on some molecular level it's probably taking years off my life but I definitely feel better and have a more positive mood when I'm eating the stuff.  This doesn't necessarily mean have an 'Epic Mealtime' pig out session - but just in general eggs and chicken do my mind some good.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 21:32:06 »
Let me explain what has happened in my life recently. I got a new job, They have an on site gym (which makes this easier). In 4 months I have lost 42 pounds so far. I have changed my diet but I still enjoy ice cream and cookies with my wife multiple times a week. I started my new job at 294 pounds I am down to 252 pounds now. This is what my mentality is on losing weight.

1. It is all about calories at first. intake less calories than your body needs to stay at a certain weight. i.e Needs at a weight of 210 let;s say 3000 kcal, intake of 2500 kcal a day. I will lose weight over time.

2. I can amplify this by burning calories by exercise. the key here is to do cardio workouts but stay around 75% of your heartrate. Also low stress workout... elliptical, biking. No treadmill if at all possible.

3. Training for a sport is simple once the weight is starting to come off. start with a goal that you know you can attain, let's say bike 10 miles, then each week add 2 - 3 miles. Once you do this for a few months you will notice there will be a point when you will think "I can bike however many miles I want at "this" pace. Now this is where the fun begins.

4. This is when your body is ready to be pushed, go faster, harder as your body is prepared to be pushed.

Of course this is all my personal opinion but working out can be fun its getting to the fun that is the hard part.

I would like to add that I currently am doing workout where I am burning ~2000 kcals everyday (a calorie burn challenge at work) and I am in the lead by over 3000 kcals. My main focus is not on losing weight as much as losing inches off my waist and increasing my cardiovascular strength.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline dante

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 21:45:11 »
What would be really sweet is an app that has a huge database of foods w/ nutritional content.

You tell it what you would like to eat and it comes up with the most minimalist diet possible fulfilling daily requirements.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 03:37:51 »

Two things:

1) Some people do not have what you call the "common sense" that you speak of. You seem to know what your body requires in terms of diet and exercise. Other people may not even realise that they need to adjust their diet. Or they want to lose weight, and it seems obvious that they need to eat less. But how much less? Most people aren't good with portion size. Quantifying things help them create better eating habits. Once someone has an awareness of the sort of foods that they should eat, and how much, they don't have to keep logging their meals. The point is to build that awareness. One has to start somewhere. This is a solution that is more likely to stand the test of time. Someone could diet like crazy, lose 10kgs, then put it back on quickly because the crazy diet is not sustainable. They go from overeating to undereating and don't actually know what is the sustainable amount that they should be aiming for. Seems like common sense to you, but many people struggle with this.

2) If your friend knows more than you, then his problem is psychological and common sense is not the problem here. Let's say that my doctor tells me that I need to lose 30kgs. I could look in the mirror every evening and think that this is too hard - I'm not seeing any difference yet. Progress is so slow. I can't do this. Or, I could look at my log and see that I've hit my target. One more day done, we're good. A structured approach can help with the stress.

I think you are right. Some people do miss this common sense and do not know what kind of changes they should make. I am aware of that, and it is a very valid point. No doubt there are people that need to quantify things to learn what (not) to do. Which is a shame really. I was trying to say that the best approach can be different for different people, though you could say that all I am doing is assuming people already have a basic understanding of these things, which is not always true.

The thing about my friend, I think you are right again. His problem may be psychological. It just frustrates me. Not because I mind him being overweight, but he is very self-conscious about it, and he has been on diets for literally years. It is kind of painful to see him being held back by his weight. I want to tell him to stop with the diets and just live a healthier lifestyle in general. In his case, I think he got a little "lost" in the science of it all. And that is easy to do. There are so many books out there, so many diets, so many alternative ways to lose weight. His strategy seems to be to try them all once... I'm just like dude, buy a bag of apples and eat that for snacks (for example), come run/bike with me and eat normal portions of whatever you like, there is no way you will keep that weight. It is not some complicated puzzle that you can not solve, and it is not true that you can not keep off the weight "no matter what".
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 June 2013, 04:03:21 by Grim Fandango »

Offline iri

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 05:16:32 »
after getting to 88 kgs (too much!), i completely stopped eating anything sweet, adjusted my food timetable so that  i would eat smaller portions more often, and signed for additional kyokushin lessons.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 17:12:00 »
after getting to 88 kgs (too much!), i completely stopped eating anything sweet, adjusted my food timetable so that  i would eat smaller portions more often, and signed for additional kyokushin lessons.

I like to use smaller plates at home so I do not overeat. I did not really do it to lose weight, but my girlfriend did point out to me that my evening meals were getting slightly gigantic. I thought the combination of getting a slower metabolism as I get older and my increasing portion sizes were probably a bad idea.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2013, 17:13:44 by Grim Fandango »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 20:21:28 »
just bought a fit bit flex for wife, will update on how it is.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 21:21:00 »
just bought a fit bit flex for wife, will update on how it is.

That looks interesting!! I'll have to look more into it. Kind of expensive at $99. Would be more likely to buy if it's $50. Let us know how it goes.
Keyboardless

Offline Lanx

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 22:13:10 »
as far as these pedometers go, it's pretty good, we both actually have experience from buying el cheapo 5$ ones to buying a go wear fit/bodybugg (the ones on biggest loser) and having a fitbit original.

i heard too many negatives about the nike and jawbone, and the fitbit flex seems good now, so far initially it's cool, heck my wife upgraded to an iphone 5 also, so now we can see it communicate with it. (it only works with 2012 phones it seems)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 00:28:09 »
So many posts on here so I wasn't able to see anything on it, but intermittent fasting works pretty well (been on it and lost a few good solid fat pounds).

The thing to really remember is calories in and calories out.

To gain mass eat excess calories.

To lose fat eat less than maintenance calories.

You can't lose weight and gain mass at the same time, but lifting weights helps retain muscle and have the skin flush against your muscles.

If you want more information on intermittent fasting (a little lazy to give specifics at the moment) you can check out http://leangainsguide.com and Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon. It's not a fad diet so don't worry...just eating differently.

Oh and always remember to eat smart and healthy because even though it isn't the necessary key to fatloss, it helps you stay healthy...look healthier...and just feel healthy.

You can PM me and I can help you out and check out http://bodybuilding.com (I know pretty douchey name, but the people there are generally nice). There forums helped me in determing my caloric and macronutrient needs.

One mo thing! The 6 meals a day every 2 hours plan is a gimmick. It might help make it easier to measure out calories, but it does not boost metabolism.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline dante

« Reply #136 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 16:46:05 »

Down to 265 as of this AM.  I'm disappearing!  :eek:

Offline Lanx

« Reply #137 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 18:17:48 »
fitbit flex is pretty cool, lasts 5 days w/o a charge, is water resistant so you can shower with it on, and can directly (without a pc) connect with a 2012 smartphone. wife is gonna try the fitbit alarm... it has the vibrate, but might destroy battery life.

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #138 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 01:51:24 »
Momma always said life was like a box of chocolates, it doesn't last as long for fat people.  Seriously, keep doing what you are doing.  The biggest thing you need is patience, don't expect to lose a bunch of weight quickly, unless you feel like chopping off a limb.  Slow and steady wins the race.  Do it, you deserve it, and you will meet your goals if you set your mind to it.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #139 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 09:09:46 »
Momma always said life was like a box of chocolates, it doesn't last as long for fat people.  Seriously, keep doing what you are doing.  The biggest thing you need is patience, don't expect to lose a bunch of weight quickly, unless you feel like chopping off a limb.  Slow and steady wins the race.  Do it, you deserve it, and you will meet your goals if you set your mind to it.

Losing more than 1-1/2 lbs per week is detrimental to the body. It also means you will be really skinny with tons of excess skin and no muscles. You will reap many benefits from a steady weight loss. I gotta get back on my grind and get my six pack back XD.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 00:35:25 »
finished a half century today!!!

Offline iri

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 14:45:17 »
congratulations!
did you take one muay thai lesson yet?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:53:15 »
congratulations!
did you take one muay thai lesson yet?

nope, not yet. haven't found one near me :(

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 22:29:29 »
I did almost a quarter century last week  ;D
Keyboardless

Offline xSpartanCx

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 20:07:50 »
I do crossfit, but for some reason some people are completely against it. Super tough workouts, everyone does the same thing for time. Spicy.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #146 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 21:36:36 »
I do crossfit, but for some reason some people are completely against it. Super tough workouts, everyone does the same thing for time. Spicy.

I used to be against Crossfit because a lot of the workouts just don't make sense...Not enough volume...

But when I looked at it again and looked at the results that many of my crossfitting friends have, I am getting more and more intrigued.

It might actually fit my work schedule instead...and the community is pretty nice.

Offline dante

« Reply #147 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 11:53:32 »
Crazy question:

Let's say that once every 3-4 weeks you have a single cheat meal with lots of sodium.  Now conventional wisdom says if you've been eating low sodium all along this meal is going to make you retain a bunch of water.  However(!) what if you don't drink very much water after this high sodium meal?  In theory shouldn't your body be smart enough  to burn fat to convert it to water?

I'm not suggesting something that could lead to a pattern of bad behavior; it's quite disheartening - and scary - to have one bad meal and gain 9-10 pounds; even if I know what's sort of going on.  I try to have my cheat day within 8 hours of weigh-in to have a full week to get it out of me.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 August 2013, 11:57:19 by dante »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #148 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 18:38:57 »
Crazy question:

Let's say that once every 3-4 weeks you have a single cheat meal with lots of sodium.  Now conventional wisdom says if you've been eating low sodium all along this meal is going to make you retain a bunch of water.  However(!) what if you don't drink very much water after this high sodium meal?  In theory shouldn't your body be smart enough  to burn fat to convert it to water?

I'm not suggesting something that could lead to a pattern of bad behavior; it's quite disheartening - and scary - to have one bad meal and gain 9-10 pounds; even if I know what's sort of going on.  I try to have my cheat day within 8 hours of weigh-in to have a full week to get it out of me.

you can not noticeably add or subtract your mass in "lipids-fat" in a 1-2 day time frame..  If you're just talking about how much "water" your body is holding... that's rather m00t... it's just water.. stop drinking it and you'll be a little less puffy.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 18:17:06 »
So I stopped working out and dieting properly during the summer because of work in the morning draining me (damn kids and damn camp). My friend sent me a new workout plan by Tyrone Bell (Spartacus trainer) called Legion Training. It is supposed to be pretty brutal...working out every day and finishing the workout in about 20 minutes. Any thoughts on the work out?