Author Topic: Dieting, Gym, and Training.  (Read 47405 times)

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
Re: Dieting, Gym, and Training.
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:29:35 »
By that logic, TP4 never leaves his house because things could get boring, hence his persistent trolling. :))

That's not what i'm trying to convey..

I'm an trying to point out that people who put in SIGNIFICANT investment of time into their bodies eventually HAVE to give it up, because it will become inconsistent with retained benefits...

I maintain my body with the LEAST necessary input of time...

Well, maybe that's your goal, but that's not EVERYONE's goal ... some of us like to do things because they are fun and have the chance to do things that get us in shape at the same time. And even want to improve, just for the pleasure of the challenge.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:30:44 »
Demmi-

You know biking is awesome, I have no idea why someone would tell you to not do something you like. I used to do century rides with a buddy, and routinely biked 375 miles weekly here on the California coast. It's unbeatable as you know. Don't get sidetracked buddy, no matter what you do/don't do...you won't lose anything but some unwanted weight.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:32:24 »
Demmi-

You know biking is awesome, I have no idea why someone would tell you to not do something you like. I used to do century rides with a buddy, and routinely biked 375 miles weekly here on the California coast. It's unbeatable as you know. Don't get sidetracked buddy, no matter what you do/don't do...you won't lose anything but some unwanted weight.

oh trust me, i take what tp says with a grain of salt. as i told him, the only thing i agree with is the food relationship, because with that he's 100% correct. but i just dont like his "im right because it worked for me" attitude. 3x30 worked for him? fine. that's good for him.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:34:31 »
I don't read tp's posts so I don't know, I was just reacting to someone's 'tp-counter post'  and extrapolating :)

You'll do fine buddy.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:35:13 »
ty sir, i can always count on you!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:35:49 »
By that logic, TP4 never leaves his house because things could get boring, hence his persistent trolling. :))

I'm an trying to point out that people who put in SIGNIFICANT investment of time into their bodies eventually HAVE to give it up, because it will become inconsistent with retained benefits...

Well, maybe that's your goal, but that's not EVERYONE's goal ... some of us like to do things because they are fun and have the chance to do things that get us in shape at the same time. And even want to improve, just for the pleasure of the challenge.

^^^ This is Wrong

Life is a game to impress the opposite sex.. Most things such as physical prowess and appearance are DIRECT extensions of this BIOLOGICAL RULE..

I   " don't "   believe you   " can't "   go BEYOND it...   I JUST HIGHLY DOUBT.... that ANY OF US... who do not already have 6 kids through college are beyond it.

mod edit: user was warned for this post

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:37:01 »
Consistency and motivation seem to be the main issues for me also.

Even a few 30min workouts as suggested above will  be great even after a few weeks for overall fitness as I understand that not all people that train need to get shredded to slay beeches.

I like to run, weights are not incoroprated too heavily into my routine.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:37:15 »
D-
I'll be in Santa Barbara during Memorial weekend (Sat/Sun) if you are near, hit me up!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:38:58 »

^^^ This is Wrong

Life is a game to impress the opposite sex.. Most things such as physical prowess and appearance are DIRECT extensions of this BIOLOGICAL RULE..

I   " don't "   believe you   " can't "   go BEYOND it...   I JUST HIGHLY DOUBT.... that ANY OF US... who do not already have 6 kids through college are beyond it.

seriously, shut up.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:39:59 »

Even a few 30min workouts as suggested above will  be great even after a few weeks for overall fitness as I understand that not all people that train need to get shredded to slay beeches.

JUST -ENOUGH  is the key here..

Because Everytime you move a muscle, your biology asks the question.. WHY DID you move that muscle, and can you achieve your goal WITHOUT having moved at all..

Corner case question.. If I gave you a pill, and you'll look like Schwarzenegger with ZERO - gym time... would you take it?? Of course you would... WHY...... ??

IF you fight with your biology on this question.. EVENTUALLY you will lose... because biology is the rules for life you can not supersede with any amount of conviction..

You cannot forever delude yourself into thinking Exercise is fun... THIS ALWAYS FAILS..... ALWAYS...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:45:35 »

^^^ This is Wrong

seriously, shut up.

Demik.. Your current mentality is why Bigger people stay Big....   And many who subscribe to your easy-going philosophies will fail and contribute further to rising health care costs...

I don't claim to know it all... but as far as how to be REALLY LAZY and still be FIT, that is my domain...

Just to clarify, I am not passionate about "WORKING OUT"

I am passionate about how to "NOT workout, sit in a computer chair, and still have abs"

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:48:01 »
no, actually, you do claim to know it all. every post you make is just so belittling everybody's opinion if it goes against what you think is right.

easy going philosophies? what the **** are you talking about. you're the one sitting here telling me to be lazy when im actually trying to be the opposite.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:49:18 »

^^^ This is Wrong

seriously, shut up.

Demik.. Your current mentality is why Bigger people stay Big....   And many who subscribe to your easy-going philosophies will fail and contribute further to rising health care costs...

I don't claim to know it all... but as far as how to be REALLY LAZY and still be FIT, that is my domain...

And surprise!  He's not asking how to do that!  Gasp, we've found something else you don't know all about, reading comprehension.

Because Everytime you move a muscle, your biology asks the question.. WHY DID you move that muscle, and can you achieve your goal WITHOUT having moved at all..

IF you fight with your biology on this question.. EVENTUALLY you will lose... because biology is the rules for life you can not supersede with any amount of conviction..

You cannot forever delude yourself into thinking Exercise is fun... THIS ALWAYS FAILS..... ALWAYS...

Except that it is.

Because being able to run just a little bit further or a little bit faster than last week is fun.

Being able to slide another plate on the bar for a lift is fun.

Being able to stretch or flex a random way and see ancillary muscle pop that didn't pop two weeks ago is fun.

Please take your negative ignorance elsewhere, kthx.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:50:52 »
no, actually, you do claim to know it all. every post you make is just so belittling everybody's opinion if it goes against what you think is right.

easy going philosophies? what the **** are you talking about. you're the one sitting here telling me to be lazy when im actually trying to be the opposite.

I'm not telling you to BE LAZY... YOU ARE LAZY...... as human beings, as an animal, it is in our primary biological directive to conserve energy while maximizing "perceived output"

You can't be anything BUT LAZY.. that is as much as you can be.... Laziness has been the driving force of humanity's greatest creations...

Automobiles, computer assisted mathematics, POWER TOOLS.....  MECHANICAL KEYBOARDS.....

Offline JPG

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:53:26 »
Demmi-

oh trust me, i take what tp says with a grain of salt. as i told him, the only thing i agree with is the food relationship, because with that he's 100% correct. but i just dont like his "im right because it worked for me" attitude. 3x30 worked for him? fine. that's good for him.

That grain of salt?

In fact, no grain of salt is big enough for TP4  :))

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:53:32 »

^^^ This is Wrong

seriously, shut up.

And surprise!  He's not asking how to do that!  Gasp, we've found something else you don't know all about, reading comprehension.

Except that it is.

Because being able to run just a little bit further or a little bit faster than last week is fun.

Being able to stretch or flex a random way and see ancillary muscle pop that didn't pop two weeks ago is fun.

My negative ignorance...

You are the one in this thread with absolutely nothing to contribute about physical fitness !!!

We've seen your picture tjcaustin... you actually need to read more of this thread than comment on it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:56:33 »
And TJ... Demik did not use the term LAZY... he asked about dieting, gym, training...

These are question to MINIMIZE expenditure and MAXIMIZE gains....   LAZY is the very essence of every optimization problem.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:03:18 »

And TJ... Demik did not use the term LAZY... he asked about dieting, gym, training...

These are question to MINIMIZE expenditure and MAXIMIZE gains....   LAZY is the very essence of every optimization problem.

Ok, what the hell, I've never been muted before so here goes.

First, you stupid mother****er, because my shoulders are wide and I'm tall doesn't mean I'm fat.  I know it's hard for your squinty ass, misogynistic mind to comprehend, but it's true, my bones aren't the same as your's.

Second, it's not about being lazy, and there were no questions about whatever the entire **** you're going on about.

Third, all of this:  Goddamn it, you are the stupidest person I waste my time talking to.

I'm not telling you to BE LAZY... YOU ARE LAZY...... as human beings as an animal, it is in our primary biological initiative to conserve energy while maximizing "perceived output"

You can't be anything BUT LAZY.. that is as much as you can be.... Laziness has been the driving force of humanity's greatest creations...

Automobiles, computer assisted mathematics, POWER TOOLS.....

Shut up

Shut UP

SHUT UP

Holy ****, stop acting like how you live is how I, or anyone else, lives, dip****.

Again, the man as asked "I want to do this as a major life event, please help me do it, I know it will be hard, but I still want to try" and you're telling him to not even try because that's the lazy way.

Here's a list of what I expect your day consists of:
Put on pants

Put on shirt

Put on Helmet (this is super important, and I think you forget this a lot of the time)

Turn on computer

Open web browser

Troll forums

Respond to people with more trolling, ignorance and double talk

Do it again

Close web browser

Turn off computer

Take cloths off

Shower

Put cloths in laundry

Seriously, all that work, how do you still get out of bed?

Moron.  **** you.

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:08:21 by hashbaz »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:06:55 »

^^^ This is Wrong

seriously, shut up.

Except that it is.

My negative ignorance...

You are the one in this thread with absolutely nothing to contribute about physical fitness !!!

We've seen your picture tjcaustin... you actually need to read more of this thread than comment on it.

And more ignorance.

How *dare* you try to denigrate me because I'm taller and have wider shoulders than you?  You are a tiny child of a man that I'm sure thinks he gets a fantastic burn from the machines in the gym and doesn't need to use those big ol' weights.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:09:49 »

Ok, what the hell, I've never been muted before so here goes.

First, you stupid mother****er, because my shoulders are wide and I'm tall doesn't mean I'm fat.  I know it's hard for your squinty ass, misogynistic mind to comprehend, but it's true, my bones aren't the same as your's.

Second, it's not about being lazy, and there were no questions about whatever the entire **** you're going on about.

Third, all of this:  Goddamn it, you are the stupidest person I waste my time talking to.

I'm not telling you to BE LAZY... YOU ARE LAZY...... as human beings as an animal, it is in our primary biological initiative to conserve energy while maximizing "perceived output"

Automobiles, computer assisted mathematics, POWER TOOLS.....

Shut up

Shut UP

SHUT UP

Holy ****, stop acting like how you live is how I, or anyone else, lives, dip****.

Again, the man as asked "I want to do this as a major life event, please help me do it, I know it will be hard, but I still want to try" and you're telling him to not even try because that's the lazy way.

Here's a list of what I expect your day consists of:
Put on pants

Put on shirt

Put on Helmet (this is super important, and I think you forget this a lot of the time)

Turn on computer

Open web browser

Troll forums

Respond to people with more trolling, ignorance and double talk

Do it again

Close web browser

Turn off computer

Take cloths off

Shower

Put cloths in laundry

Seriously, all that work, how do you still get out of bed?

Moron.  **** you.

Wow, LOL you're really mad that I pseudo called you fat... what's up with that... why are you so defensive all of a sudden.

Also, My computer is sandybridge very low idle state, 30watts when I'm on the internet.. I rarely turn it off.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:09:55 »
Also, you ugly little hateful troll, you want to talk about "helping" versus not

Helped me a lot getting resources and stuff from :
http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

How about you ****ing see that I'm the first person that thought to put a resource out there that he could use and reach out to a support network of people that have been and are in his situation.

Goddamn it.  I don't hate much of anyone, but I hate you.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:10:45 »
Enough, guys.  tp and tj have both been issued warnings for this back-and-forth.  Let's keep discussion civil.

tp, we go through this **** with you way too often.  Stop posting gibberish.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:12:15 »

^^^ This is Wrong

seriously, shut up.

Except that it is.

My negative ignorance...

And more ignorance.

How *dare* you try to denigrate me because I'm taller and have wider shoulders than you?  You are a tiny child of a man that I'm sure thinks he gets a fantastic burn from the machines in the gym and doesn't need to use those big ol' weights.

I hate the gym. I never go to the gym.. I also don't lift much ... that's my point..

wider shoulders.. ok.. i didn't say anything about your shoulders. I just alluded to the fact that you're pudgy and could use some training advice.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:14:08 »

^^^ This is Wrong

seriously, shut up.

Except that it is.

My negative ignorance...

And more ignorance.

I hate the gym. I never go to the gym.. I also don't lift much ... that's my point..

wider shoulders.. ok.. i didn't say anything about your shoulders. I just alluded to the fact that you're pudgy and could use some training advice.

And I directly said that you're wrong, ignorant and should shut up.  Here we are.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:14:55 »
Enough, guys.  tp and tj have both been issued warnings for this back-and-forth.  Let's keep discussion civil.

tp, we go through this **** with you way too often.  Stop posting gibberish.

Yo hazbaz wtf man...

TJ clearly comes in here to troll me... I placate the situation with real sense.. and he goes and nerd-rages because I said he looked a little pudgy from the photo he's posted..

Hell if I'm so wrong about that, why doesn't he just post another picture. and I'll take it back.. I got no problem with retracting a statement about TJ being a little pudgy..

I am not the one instigating the belligerence.. HE IS..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:17:17 »

^^^ This is Wrong

seriously, shut up.

Except that it is.

My negative ignorance...

And more ignorance.

And I directly said that you're wrong, ignorant and should shut up.  Here we are.

What exactly am I wrong about?

I have the end result of good work-out sense.. that being some definition, and a little bit of mass around the shoulder

What are YOU claiming... exactly.. that people should spend an inordinate amount of time to achieve what?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:17:58 »
You have been trolling from page one sir.  Demik asked a simple question and you spin off in a hundred directions about biology and laziness, then get in a spat with tj.  Enough.  I'm done with you.

edit: I also warned tj.  But he does not have the history that you do with trolling and stirring up belligerence.  You have been warned many, many times.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:21:36 by hashbaz »

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:20:25 »
explain it... nice and simple. if you have recipes or full meal plans that'd be AWESOME.

Losing weight is simple - don't overdo it with salty, or preservative-rich foods - stick to meat and fiber for the most part. A Snickers bar is 200 calories, and it takes 20 minutes of running to grind that down, at least that's what the treadmill computer generally tells me ;)

I am currently working on stamina (just signt up for 24 Hour, I need to get that feeling of infinite runningness I once had..)

What I do is hit the treadmill. There's a few quick options...

1 - run for 20 minutes, then work on muscle building. This varies per person depending on what muscles you wanna build!

2 - like I'm currently doing, set an ambitious goal like 30 - 40 minutes of running, and make it interval with inclines if your treadmill has that capability... helps with burning calories. When you know you need to catch your breath, slow it down to a "resting speed" which is like a power walk, and then when you've caught your breath (don't be a baby! push yourself, or you won't gain...) pick it up to a good 5.5 to 6 MPH or "working speed" --- You should be very sweaty and basically dying by the end of your run. Having OCD problems like myself tends to help with this, as you can get insane about this kind of stuff.  ;D

3 - good alternatives are;

the stair master (good for burning calories - it kicks your ass. It's the stairway from hell - just never ends!)

spinning (bike emulation - doesn't hit your core as much as running does IMO, so don't get too comfy here..)

swimming! not into it myself.... lol.

Edit;
oh wow. Lol.... meh
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:22:20 by lazerpointer »
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:21:07 »

welp, i guess that's that. thanks to everybody that posted. really appreciate your help.

i'll try my hardest and will finish the ms150. whether it takes me 7 hours, or 20 hours. but i'll cross that finish line.

explain it... nice and simple. if you have recipes or full meal plans that'd be AWESOME.

Losing weight is simple - don't overdo it with salty, or preservative-rich foods - stick to meat and fiber for the most part. A Snickers bar is 200 calories, and it takes 20 minutes of running to grind that down, at least that's what the treadmill computer generally tells me ;)

I am currently working on stamina (just signt up for 24 Hour, I need to get that feeling of infinite runningness I once had..)

What I do is hit the treadmill. There's a few quick options...

1 - run for 20 minutes, then work on muscle building. This varies per person depending on what muscles you wanna build!

2 - like I'm currently doing, set an ambitious goal like 30 - 40 minutes of running, and make it interval with inclines if your treadmill has that capability... helps with burning calories. When you know you need to catch your breath, slow it down to a "resting speed" which is like a power walk, and then when you've caught your breath (don't be a baby! push yourself, or you won't gain...) pick it up to a good 5.5 to 6 MPH or "working speed" --- You should be very sweaty and basically dying by the end of your run. Having OCD problems like myself tends to help with this, as you can get insane about this kind of stuff.  ;D

3 - good alternatives are;

the stair master (good for burning calories - it kicks your ass. It's the stairway from hell - just never ends!)

spinning (bike emulation - doesn't hit your core as much as running does IMO, so don't get too comfy here..)

swimming! not into it myself.... lol.

im a 24 hrs member too! no swimming for me... as i dont know how >.<
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:23:15 by demik »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:23:10 »

^^^ This is Wrong

seriously, shut up.

Except that it is.

My negative ignorance...

And more ignorance.

What exactly am I wrong about?

I have the end result of good work-out sense.. that being some definition, and a little bit of mass in the right places.

What are YOU claiming... exactly.. that people should spend an inordinate amount of time to achieve what?

I don't know, how about succeeding at a stated goal? Like to be able to ride a bike for 150 miles without feeling embarrassed.

Also, how is riding a bike, or going to the gym, for 2.5 - 3 hours a week "inordinate"? There are 168 of them in a week, it's not like they aren't there to spare.

To be clear, what I'm actually stating is "what you want isn't what demik wants, stop telling him it is" And then there's the morons and curse words on top of that because I hate everything about you.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 08:10:17 »
hi demik, do you do squats when you're at the gym? If so, how much do you do currently? If not, I'd suggest doing 5x5 of the same weight, if you can do the weight without struggling in form, move up. Increments of 5lbs will be plenty, especially if you are able to squat daily. I think this is the most efficient workout to get stronger. If this is the first time doing workouts like this it'll be a ***** and you'll probably be sore almost everyday but your body will eventually adjust and get stronger (eat lots of protein.)

Work hard and good luck brotha

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 08:24:03 »
**** weights, just do calisthenics!

Bar brothers all day!

Get yourself a chinup bar and follow some of the guides these guys made.

I lost 40 lbs of fat doing this + cardio

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 08:24:25 »

1. Don't do a real diet  to lose weight. What you should do is only to eat healthy things as much as you can and cut the obvious sources of extremes fat/sugar (you know them, but basically fried stuff, rich sauces, meat with too much fat and things with a lot of sugar). BUT, eat pretty much as much as you want without exaggerating, and maybe try to lower that amount a little but do not get hungry. If you are hungry, try to fill yourself with vegetables and fruits (fresh/raw if possible). Anyway, if you want to lose weight on a 5 months objective, the best is to go slowly, else it's bad for your body. The best way to do that is to cook yourself, eat as much fruit and vegetables as you can and do the obvious. For example, I replaced most of the red meat I eat with horse meat because it's much healthier. You can also try to eat more rice, quinoa, etc., they taste good if cooked well! Also, after a training, drink a small chocolate milk (just after). It gives back to your body some sugar and proteins. There are other stuff that can do the job, but chocolate milk is easy to find and a good one. You should drink it max 15 min after a workout.

I really agree with this. I've spent a long time trying to overhaul my diet slowly like this instead of trying to stick to a strict regimen. Changing my eating habits has helped me a lot personally.

hi demik, do you do squats when you're at the gym? If so, how much do you do currently? If not, I'd suggest doing 5x5 of the same weight, if you can do the weight without struggling in form, move up. Increments of 5lbs will be plenty, especially if you are able to squat daily. I think this is the most efficient workout to get stronger. If this is the first time doing workouts like this it'll be a ***** and you'll probably be sore almost everyday but your body will eventually adjust and get stronger (eat lots of protein.)

Work hard and good luck brotha

I also agree with doing squats, leg presses, and lunges. I personally prefer lunges with weights in my hand. I lunge-walk across this open area in my gym, probably do like 15x3.

Also it fascinates me that I can only see tjcaustin's incredible rage post and not tp4's. You guys still read his drivel? Interesting. Ignore is a wonderful feature

Offline moonprismpwr

• pew pew
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:15:17 »
Whatever you do, don't starve yourself. There's so many people I see skipping meals and going long hours without even a snack because they're desperate to get thin/stay thin. Especially now that summer is coming there's a lot of pro-ana (pro-anorexia) blogs popping up, with people telling each other to hold off on eating because "thin feels better than a cookie" or some crap. I can't offer much advice on work out routines etc, but I can definitely say that depriving yourself of meals is just going to end up being ineffective and make you miserable.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:36:02 »
Whatever you do, don't starve yourself. There's so many people I see skipping meals and going long hours without even a snack because they're desperate to get thin/stay thin. Especially now that summer is coming there's a lot of pro-ana (pro-anorexia) blogs popping up, with people telling each other to hold off on eating because "thin feels better than a cookie" or some crap.

Yet research suggests fasting animals (especially lab rats) live noticeably longer and are healthier. (Not saying most of popular diets aren't stupid.)

Offline TreeSc2

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:42:03 »
I workout al the teime.

Offline moonprismpwr

• pew pew
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:52:49 »
Whatever you do, don't starve yourself. There's so many people I see skipping meals and going long hours without even a snack because they're desperate to get thin/stay thin. Especially now that summer is coming there's a lot of pro-ana (pro-anorexia) blogs popping up, with people telling each other to hold off on eating because "thin feels better than a cookie" or some crap.

Yet research suggests fasting animals (especially lab rats) live noticeably longer and are healthier. (Not saying most of popular diets aren't stupid.)

There's a lot of information from both camps ofc ^^ Fasting can be good for you if it's done sparingly, but if you're doing it every single day you're risking muscle loss, which is pretty detrimental if you're looking to work out as part of your weight-loss regimen. And it offers an easy way out for people who are looking to lose some pounds quickly, rather than focusing on better meals + fitness, which will ensure a more stable weight loss. If you're holding off on eating to lose weight, the weight will just come back as soon as you start eating regularly again.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:57:48 »
Meh, I'm happier being a little chunky and eating my favorite foods, drinking beers, and not torturing myself with sweaty time-consuming make me feel like **** exercise regiments. Some people say they actually like working out, but that's just the lie you tell yourself to convince the brain it doesn't completely suck. Now video games, alcohol, and buffalo wings is something I can get behind!

Offline bear95

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 21:40:57 »
A friend(used to be 180lbs) said it really helped him(he lost 30lb in a few months) when I told him to change his mentality on eating, eat not to be full but to be not hungry.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 21:43:32 »
Meh, I'm happier being a little chunky and eating my favorite foods, drinking beers, and not torturing myself with sweaty time-consuming make me feel like **** exercise regiments. Some people say they actually like working out, but that's just the lie you tell yourself to convince the brain it doesn't completely suck.

Endorphins.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 21:46:52 »
I'm going back to my crossfit box on monday.  Perhaps the third time will be the charm.  (I have a horrible pattern of starting, injuring myself, and then having to stop).

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 22:12:32 »
this is why i don't like crossfit by the way. do a bootcamp style class led by (ironically) gymnasts or something else that's only bodyweight.

actually it's not that ironic, because every single gymnast over the age of 18 has a major injury and knows how to make sure you don't get injured. rule #1 is don't use freeweights.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 22:21:09 »
this is why i don't like crossfit by the way. do a bootcamp style class led by (ironically) gymnasts or something else that's only bodyweight.

actually it's not that ironic, because every single gymnast over the age of 18 has a major injury and knows how to make sure you don't get injured. rule #1 is don't use freeweights.

Man, when I was training hard to drop weight, I'd got to the point where I could run ~12min mile (not fast to most, but I'm not small either) and do a heavy workout with barely a hitch in my breath

First time I did a bodyweight routine?  I felt like I was going to die.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 22:41:50 »
a good way to build up your core if you're having trouble starting with bodyweight routines (because there's really a minimum you need... is pilates with some spin (WATCH YOUR DAMNED FORM THOUGH) and maybe yoga. keep in mind that bad yoga teachers will effing destroy your joints though, and have no idea that they're doing it. from what i've seen though pilates is exceptionally safe.

ooh ooh and i forgot about barre (but i shouldn't because some of my fave coaches are now making their living pushing barre)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 22:52:57 »
I'm going back to my crossfit box on monday.  Perhaps the third time will be the charm.  (I have a horrible pattern of starting, injuring myself, and then having to stop).

ive wanted to give crossfit a chance. but since it's the "new thing" right now, classes are way too much.

i know north hollywood has a pretty famous muay thai gym, and their rates aren't bad. going to see if i can get into that again. i should still have my gloves somewhere.

Offline JPG

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 23:03:23 »

ive wanted to give crossfit a chance. but since it's the "new thing" right now, classes are way too much.

i know north hollywood has a pretty famous muay thai gym, and their rates aren't bad. going to see if i can get into that again. i should still have my gloves somewhere.

Gloves? Just use rope "old school style" :p

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 23:09:27 »
ha, and then ride with no hands?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 23:42:18 »
have reaper teach you thai boxing man

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 11:18:21 »
Half way through my second week back at Crossfit.

Everything feels great (no injuries) and I have been extremely regimented with my diet.

So far, so good!

Offline Grimey

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 10:45:53 »
Runner / Cyclist here, former 300 pound fatty to fit 175 pound person here.  So the following is something I would probably know things about if anyone has any questions, which please feel free to PM if you would rather.

Year round cycle commuting in Iowa.  (My commute is 6 miles on way, 12 miles round trip, rain/snow/cold/shine).
    - Fat biking
    - Road biking
    - Some touring done
Running for distance and wearing out the dog.  (I generally do 6-12 mile runs a couple of times a week).
Erlang your pants off