Author Topic: When dealing with other geekhackers does age matter?  (Read 21172 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: When dealing with other geekhackers does age matter?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:27:12 »
Its more about maturity level, I think young people can be trusted on geekhack but they have to earn trust, just as people of all ages maturity level needs to be tested.

Honestly I've dealt with some pretty mature young people lately outside of geekhack, it makes me feel bad about myself. I was an immature idiot when i was a teenager up to my early 20's. I wouldn't have done business with me as a teenager, hell no. The career changed me; set me straight.

Well since the only way to earn trust is to PAY on-time.. You can't overcome the intial risk of the first ever deal... I think this is what people are worried about...

But I think that's silly because there's so little money involved..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:27:54 »
I tend to treat people as I find them..if people can hold a mature and sensible conversation and not behave like idiots then age simply doesn't come into it. If they are selling something like a keycap and send it, again age doesn't seem to make a difference.

I believe a lot of the time you can spot immaturity before you can spot age and the two are not necessarily related.

The only time it might be an issue is if people here are forming a relationship or trying to get one but I am not sure this would be quite the forum for that sort of thing. One some forums I think one would have to be conscious of it but I doubt I am on any of those.

Ah, didn't you hear, there are no chix here... 

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:38:28 »
Moose, calm down buddy. :P

Don't be jealous. I'm gonna see you later.  ;)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 17:30:58 »
Does age matter?  I don't know.  I've found reliable people and clowns of all ages.  I think the habits and behavior of a young person's parents might be a better indicator.  So for all those still living at home, we will need parental profiles before we do business.

you must be a kid, because only kids would thing that were ever possible to enforce over the internet.

Not sure if I want to feed the troll.  Ok no, I'm not going to feed the troll.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 17:39:45 »
The correct answer is: It IS possible. Poor dumb tp4 doesn't know about backtracing.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 18:18:03 »
The correct answer is: It IS possible. Poor dumb tp4 doesn't know about backtracing.

I don't see how you could enforce a parental consent form, unless you skype with the person's parents... In which case,, who would go through the trouble to join this forum.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 22:43:51 »
Who's the oldest GH'er?

Offline therecorder

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 22:53:06 »
If by "dealing with" you are referring to doing business, then it should not matter too much. People don't change in morality very much.

On the other hand, as an old man, I find that my attitudes, feelings, and passions are very different than they were a few decades ago.

Some things have lost their interest to me, and others have become more important.

Most significantly, I "feel" that the world (ie the human race) has become a much uglier and more cynical place than it was when I was young.

As I said before, I'm 65.  fohat.dig says that he is an "old man"...  Older than I am?  Don't think there's a way to find out who is the oldest Geekhacker.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 23:15:37 »
I'm 33 now, but I was a very responsible kid at 16+. I started a business making websites for local businesses in my small town with another guy who was 18. We had an office and everything. Meeting people in person almost never landed us work. Our luck either came from pity or people we let believe we were older. I remember how offended I was to be discriminated against for age at the time. But looking back, I totally understand it. A 16 year old making websites in '96 wasn't the problem, but giving him money from your business is different.  So yeah, age matters. But everyone is different and lots of other factors matter more. Building trust is key... Just might be slower and harder being young.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 03:16:10 »
Kids (seem to) mature faster these days than they did back in the day.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 03:22:57 »

I blame the rap music

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 04:54:33 »
Generally, their behavior will tell you more about them than their age. Sure, people under 16 are generally less mature than people over 16, but once you know a little bit about them you can pretty much ignore age, since you have a lot more useful info than such an inaccurate proxy for maturity.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 04:54:45 »

I blame the rap music

Just remember that in 50 year's time rap music will be the music all the oldies are listening to.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mauri

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 05:55:21 »
But officer she looked 16
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 06:41:04 »
Yay!

You guys need to stop buying stickers from me man! ;D

I was underage 2 months ago :p

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 06:41:52 »
Yay!

That business plan doesn't make much sense friend.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 06:43:36 »
Yay!

That business plan doesn't make much sense friend.

What business plan?  :confused: :confused:

:p

Offline nathairtras

When dealing with other geekhackers does age matter?
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 10:00:40 »
Really?  Seems like there are (still) plenty of immature ones, and immature adults as well.  I have had moments where I was tempted  to make a claim opposite to yours, now I simply think that the Internet has made it easier to spot maturity (or a lack of it) regardless of age.

(Did tapatalk steal my leading "R"?)
CM QFR Green

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 10:07:03 »

I have been noticing these oddities lately in tapatalk as well....and many smilies that don't work properly....

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 22:41:00 »

I have been noticing these oddities lately in tapatalk as well....and many smilies that don't work properly....

I have seen the same thing as well. btw I am 32

Offline jabar

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 23:12:54 »
Generally, their behavior will tell you more about their parents than their age.
FTFY

As an aside, I really hope no one under 18 has run a group buy. But even then there's been a few college students who have run group buys here and got lost in their studies (I cannot fathom how college students cannot dedicate even an hour or two a week to dealing with their GBs - I was no slouch of a student and I still had loads of free time). That sort of stuff should be really left to adults who can better gauge whether or not they can devote the time to running these community operations.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 23:20:05 »
I would prefer to do business with an adult. Just preference. Had some interesting deals on ocn with youngsters. That said I think my first deal on here was with small fry which was about 2 years ago maybe?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 01:16:49 »
Yes, it was a little over a year and a half now. I bought a Leopold with Clears from ya. I thin that the payment was quick, and I was very happy with the purchase. :)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 10:14:25 »
Yes it went smooth no problems there. And now I'm interested in clears again lol.

Offline poxeclipse

• Hit me with music ... yes, me friend
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 10:26:40 »
We're talking about age ? Hmmm .... I have on my desk now a 30 years old keyboard and a 2 months old one. I like and use both.

Offline iri

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 05:18:49 »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 05:34:58 »
Generally, their behavior will tell you more about their parents than their age.
FTFY

As an aside, I really hope no one under 18 has run a group buy. But even then there's been a few college students who have run group buys here and got lost in their studies (I cannot fathom how college students cannot dedicate even an hour or two a week to dealing with their GBs - I was no slouch of a student and I still had loads of free time). That sort of stuff should be really left to adults who can better gauge whether or not they can devote the time to running these community operations.

I ran bunches of GB, sir :))

Although they are not that big :p

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 09:21:46 »
We have a saying in the movement that we don't trust anybody over 30.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 10:31:38 »

Is that the bowel movement?

Proud to be "way" over 30...

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 11:43:28 »
Yes
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 14:51:11 »

Is that the bowel movement?

Proud to be "way" over 30...

There was a punk song that ended with something like "never trust anyone over ten", let me find it...

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 15:01:09 »
Hey Dubs. We're not strangers anymore, right? Come take a ride in my van!
Show Image

Seems legit.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 19:22:04 »
under 18, i hate you.

over 40, i hate you.

unless i like you, then i don't hate you.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 20:04:29 »
Thanks fohat.digs. For about ten years  I've been trying to identify that movie and song. For some reason I thought the song was performed by Paul Revere and the Raiders.

I seem to remember liking the movie back when I was 13.  But I also thought Billy Jack was Oscar worthy back then.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2013, 20:07:34 by kurplop »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 20:30:49 »
Thanks fohat.digs. For about ten years  I've been trying to identify that movie and song. For some reason I thought the song was performed by Paul Revere and the Raiders.

I seem to remember liking the movie back when I was 13.  But I also thought Billy Jack was Oscar worthy back then.

Max Frost and the Troopers was not a real band, but that song, utter classic! I still have the original 45 from 1969.

I am a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, but I cringe at how weak and predictable Billy Jack was. Even the martial art scenes were too short and tame.

The TV show "Kung Fu" was really outstanding, however, probably because it had dozens of episodes to really develop.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline nebo

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 00:31:12 »
No. Tinlong was (is?) a kid and I went with his first GB he ever did with the poker and that was probably one of the most seamless GBs I've partook in. Currently dealing with TP who is in his 20s and it is a nightmare.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 07:41:20 »
under 18, i hate you.

over 40, i hate you.

so much love around here!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 10:40:41 »
under 18, i hate you.

over 40, i hate you.

I understand this now

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 10:57:53 »
under 18, i hate you.

over 40, i hate you.

I understand this now

enlighten.. I no get...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 10:59:32 »
under 18, i hate you.

over 40, i hate you.

I understand this now

enlighten.. I no get...

just give it some time, you'll get it one day

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 14:07:59 »
I don't care how old you are just so long as you use Windows.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 20:38:29 »
Bump for relevance.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 03:13:34 »
You're only as old as your behaviour on the 'net.

It's funny, I always associate beards with "old" people. Realise it's something from my childhood, but I still assumed Spamray is "really old" (tm) due to the bearded avatars he uses. Now I discover we're both "in our 30's".

IMO, age is a factor, but it's maturity that matters. Of course the older you are, the more you know (generally speaking) and the less likely you are to be naive, ignorant or immature. In most cases, dealing with a young person who is mature is fine, unless their lack of experience affects things.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 03:28:02 »
You're only as old as your behaviour on the 'net.

It's funny, I always associate beards with "old" people. Realise it's something from my childhood, but I still assumed Spamray is "really old" (tm) due to the bearded avatars he uses. Now I discover we're both "in our 30's".

IMO, age is a factor, but it's maturity that matters. Of course the older you are, the more you know (generally speaking) and the less likely you are to be naive, ignorant or immature. In most cases, dealing with a young person who is mature is fine, unless their lack of experience affects things.

SpAmRaY's only in his 30s?

:eek:

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 03:36:26 »
Well I'm probably among the youngest here at 17 but still I haven't felt like someone has looked down upon me here because of my age.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline iri

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 03:37:05 »
i'm in my 20's.

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 03:39:02 »
i think member  DT a lot 30+
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"