Author Topic: Lube Myths  (Read 2945 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Lube Myths
« on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:50:29 »
I remember reading some where that when you get new switches you should not lube right away.

Instead let the plastic break down and wear smooth a bit.

THEN lube to get the smoothest key presses.

Is this remotely true?  I recall someone said the rationale was that if you lube right away it would take longer for the plastic pieces to break in and become smooth. ;D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Lube Myths
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 00:25:35 »
If switches are anything like harmonicas or baseball gloves then this might be true. I suppose there would be some truth to it because new switches will probably take a miniscule amount of the surface plastic off with general use, thus removing some of the lube if the switch were lubed.

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 06:17:46 »
I don't like the idea of lubing the switches. What happens when the lube gets dirty or liquid component eventually evaporates?
Lube again?

Down the road I expect stickiness and a board ruined by immediate satisfaction.
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 06:51:26 »
I was expecting the OP to say something about it's all in your head that lube doesn't really do anything.

I have yet to try lubed switches but hope to experiment soon.

And if the plastic in the switches has to 'wear' in, where does the worn out plastic go?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 07:56:16 »
I don't like the idea of lubing the switches. What happens when the lube gets dirty or liquid component eventually evaporates?
Lube again?

Down the road I expect stickiness and a board ruined by immediate satisfaction.

considering the board is serviceable it'll never be completely ruined.. but the serviceable part means turning the board upside down and spraying some sort of solvent into the switch to get the stuck lube out.

If that bothers you, do NOT lube. It's an eventuality....

Now as far as does it help, it certain does, but the breaking in period is much longer than some people think. probably few thousand key
presses, before, you should actually lube.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 09:13:50 »
Also remember that Cherry switches ARE lubed to begin with.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 09:16:37 »

This. I still don't understand lubing on a new build unless using vintage switches.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 09:19:18 »

This. I still don't understand lubing on a new build unless using vintage switches.

Different lubes do give the switch different and noticeable feelings
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 09:22:22 »

Different lubes do give the switch different and noticeable feelings

Yes, my statement was mostly directed at the dude complaining about newly applied lube drying out some day.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 10:50:32 »

But if that's true, then why are vintage switches so SMOOOOOOTH?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 10:56:02 »

Older plastic must have been made different, obviously, and the lube they used back then was probably really good but is toxic to make so they stopped.  ;)

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 11:14:11 »

Older plastic must have been made different, obviously, and the lube they used back then was probably really good but is toxic to make so they stopped.  ;)

The bold part could be true and can be tested, but the "toxic" lube is just speculation, right? Just because something works really well doesn't mean it's bad for you. It may be a combination of different plastic and wearing of the switch and spring over the years.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 11:34:24 »

The bold part could be true and can be tested, but the "toxic" lube is just speculation, right? Just because something works really well doesn't mean it's bad for you. It may be a combination of different plastic and wearing of the switch and spring over the years.

I was kidding about the toxic part but in all seriousness, there could have been something used or a by-product in the manufacturing process in years past that they genuinely do not use anymore due to environmental regulations, costs, availability etc.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 11:40:14 »
Here is my opinion of it. What people call "vintage" switches are really just old switches that have been well-used. I don't think Cherry changed the formulation of the plastic for the stems at all. Once you use the switches for several thousand keypresses, they become worn in and have a nice smooth feeling. Lubing new switches is simply a shortcut to get to that same feeling.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 13:47:35 »
Here is my opinion of it. What people call "vintage" switches are really just old switches that have been well-used.
I don't believe that. I have got vintage keyboards that were pristine in every visible way that have had smoother switches than modern keyboards.
🍉

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 19:12:29 »

The only entrance to the switch itself that is large enough for anything more than a micron to pass through, is through the top around the stem, which is covered, by a plastic key cap. Unless you have a wirlwind blowing through your keyboard, dust is typically going to land on the key can, and then fall onto the plate and then fall wherever.

Ask anyone disassembling very old switches how much dust they found inside of them. I have 2 year old switches and found them completely clean inside. In fact, you are more likely to find plastic dust from wear, than you are to find actual dirt dust inside.

Good lube doesn't evaporate that fast, if at all, take apart an old car, bicycle or motorcycle, the grease is still there. So why do chains dry out? Because of the dust collecting on the oil, absorbing it, and being washed/blown away by wind and water.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 20:40:40 »
Also you can't get pregnant if you use lube.  ;-)
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 20:43:04 »
Also you can't get pregnant if you use lube.  ;-)

only the ones that says spermicide included.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 20:44:00 »
Ask anyone disassembling very old switches how much dust they found inside of them. I have 2 year old switches and found them completely clean inside. In fact, you are more likely to find plastic dust from wear, than you are to find actual dirt dust inside.

I pulled the switches off 5 old Wyse boards and they were filthy... I didn't open them tho, hey boost have you looked inside those switches?

I have been inside switches from other boards that on the outside were obviously dusty/used and opened them up and found 1-2 large strands of random fuzz and the old lube turned black.  Is the black dust?  Dunno.

Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 20:44:08 »

The only entrance to the switch itself that is large enough for anything more than a micron to pass through, is through the top around the stem, which is covered, by a plastic key cap. Unless you have a wirlwind blowing through your keyboard, dust is typically going to land on the key can, and then fall onto the plate and then fall wherever.

Good lube doesn't evaporate that fast, if at all, take apart an old car, bicycle or motorcycle, the grease is still there. So why do chains dry out? Because of the dust collecting on the oil, absorbing it, and being washed/blown away by wind and water.

well, the grease is still there, but it's greatly denatured.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 01:32:10 »
Remember the N64 controllers that would develop a film of plastic dust around the joystick after long use? I used to call it magic pikachu dust, and I would guess something like that occurs on a smaller level with most moving plastic parts.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 June 2013, 01:33:58 by noisyturtle »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 01:36:44 »
Remember the N64 controllers that would develop a film of plastic dust around the joystick after long use? I used to call it magic pikachu dust, and I would guess something like that occurs on a smaller level with most moving plastic parts.

The hours you've spent playing battle stadium has not gone to waste!!