Author Topic: Are you a pill popper?  (Read 21787 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: Are you a pill popper?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 23:45:13 »
The only problem with these "nutrition" plans, is that they're extremely expensive. And all the cooking involved.. and how generally plants don't taste good to most people..

sigh......

Haha...

"The more you eat, the less flavor; the less you eat, the more flavor." -- Chinese Proverb

Yes, it is more work and you do have to cook, but is cheaper to eat healthy if you actually do it...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 23:45:53 »
Sorry to hijack your thread Spamray.  I will shut up now...  :P

Offline tbc

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 23:47:04 »
wait what....

plants are MORE expensive?

steak costs like $10/kilo for me (for a cheap cut).  I've never seen more than $3/lb for a green vege before.

what are people everywhere else paying?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 23:48:03 »
The only problem with these "nutrition" plans, is that they're extremely expensive. And all the cooking involved.. and how generally plants don't taste good to most people..

sigh......

Haha...

"The more you eat, the less flavor; the less you eat, the more flavor." -- Chinese Proverb

Yes, it is more work and you do have to cook, but is cheaper to eat healthy if you actually do it...

IDK where ur getting this cheaper number from..

junk food is calorically dense and taste AWESOME.. 

healthy = vegetables (bitter), which per pound also cost as much as meat..

if you switched away from cheap calorically dense foods, it necessarily becomes more expensive.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 23:59:25 »

sigh......

Haha...

if you switched away from cheap calorically dense foods, it necessarily becomes more expensive.

Myth:  calories = nutritious

Your 'cheap' foods are loaded with sugar, salt and fat and are horribly unhealthy.

What makes you think that dense foods are good for you?  With the way your body works, they actually force you to over eat to actually feel full.  This is one of the main reasons obesity is rampant right now.

These cheap calorie dense foods are the creation of the last 100 years and never exist this way for the entire existence of human civilization.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 00:00:48 »

sigh......

The taste is mostly a question of habbit. For sure, if you are used to eat a lot of meat and cheese and transformed foods, it will be hard to eat straight vetegables at first. But if you really try it for a while, you will realise that vegetables and most natural foods taste quite good, even better than most meals we are used to. And cooking is not always very long. In fact, I cook for my family on a daily basis and I cook a dish in 30 min usually (well most of the time) and manage to cook some quite healty food. And 30 min is often less than the time required to go buy some fastfood at the restaurant.

As for the cost, most transformed foods cost more than vegetables and eating vegetables tends to fill your stomach quite faster since they have a lot more fibers which gives you the sensation of being full (because in fact you have eaten enough for your body). So while so dishes can cost more depending on where you live, I am pretty sure that buying fresh vegetables does not cost that much compared to what people spend most of the time. For 10$, I can make many meals for a whole family that are healty and will have leftovers for some lunchs.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 00:02:09 »

sigh......

Haha...

Myth:  calories = nutritious

Your 'cheap' foods are loaded with sugar, salt and fat and are horribly unhealthy.

What makes you think that dense foods are good for you?  With the way your body works, they actually force you to over eat to actually feel full.  This is one of the main reasons obesity is rampant right now.

These cheap calorie dense foods are the creation of the last 100 years and never exist this way for the entire existence of human civilization.

You suck at the reading.

At no point did I say dense food = nutritious

My point was simply it's far more expensive to eat healthy..

That is a huge barrier to lower income families, which occupy the bulk of the obesity ladder.

Offline tbc

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 00:13:27 »
everyone complains about prices....no one posts prices....

anyone saying: vegies cost more than meat in vancouver is lying.  that's a fact.

i just wonder what prices people are paying elsewhere.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 00:15:43 »
Chicken breast on sale here, is $2 per pound..

Most vegetables other than Lettuce cost about that much or more..

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 01:20:21 »
Only take a multi-vitamin if i have been drinking, one before I go to bed goes along way the next day.  Prescribed xanax for anxiety and trazadone for sleep, but take neither.  Replaced both with herbal medicine.
eh o well

Offline iri

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 05:31:34 »
i have 5 chronic diseases, 0 of which affect my life.

i take 5 pills daily for stomach, multivitamins and sometimes nicotine to calm me down.

i take gym for back pain.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 10:01:48 »
Sorry to hijack your thread Spamray.  I will shut up now...  :p

no worries! that's the whole point of an internet forum, sharing ALL the viewpoints  :thumb:

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 11:00:08 »
I share swill opinions , the less pills I take the better for me .

I had to take a **** lot of medications after a big accident , like a lot of morphines , Anesthesias for multiple operations ... It ****s up your body .

Imo pills are no miracle , they fix one issue to create a new one .

ps: i wish no-one to endure pain that morphine can't mitigate .

Azerty Propagandiste

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 11:05:17 »
Definitely man! Supplements are a must! Vitamins and Minerals. Ive been doing so for as long as I can remember.

Now Adam Multi Vitamin, Omega 3 made from Algae, Vitamin C, Vitamin B, Vitamin D.
Some days Ill take Green Tea pills or Fiber Pills.
When working out Ill take Kre Alkalyn.
I used to take more but most of them are in the Now Adam Formula.  :thumb:

Also, what Swill said. I eat a ton of Black Beans so I'm good there. No meat necessary.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 December 2014, 11:07:19 by dustinhxc »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 12:53:15 »
I should probably start taking a multivitamin. Might do me some good.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 14:21:35 »
No illegal drug talk here only legal stuff per TOS.

Also this thread is for entertainment purposes only and nothing said herein should be taken as medical advice proceed at your own risk.
  8)

I was recently diagnosed with something really bad (not really gonna discuss specifics here but if you care that much you know where to find me). I have since been looking into vitamins, supplements, etc that might help with my issues and/or just help in general. Before this I took a couple recent prescriptions and that is it nothing else other than an occasional sinus medicine or headache medicine.

I've just started taking Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, grape seed extract, milk thistle, Choline and a probiotic pill.

Always curious to know what others here might have in common and/or might recommend.

Maybe you take supplements because you work out? Or because you never see daylight? Or to give you better mental focus? Or maybe your mom makes you take vitamins?

So are you a pill popper?  :o
Elderberry is a good one to take as well...
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 14:34:58 »
my wife forces me to ocationally take these men vitamins(usually on wekends) the box is probably 3 years old. Almost finished now.
Other than that i only take stuff prescribed from the doctor when im sick.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 14:49:35 »
This thread is taking a very pro-vitamin stance.  I would like to get my 2¢ on that since I mentioned I take a vitamin daily.  The only reason I take it is because I have a deficiency, and the doctor prescribed I take it after discontinuing synthroid treatment.

From what I've read and learned in the past, multivitamins and supplements are probably not necessary unless used to treat something in particular.  For example, above the bio-availability maximum of vitamin C, the body excretes it extremely efficiently.  This means that if your body can only absorb 75mg (I don't know the real number here), and you take 1.5 g, you are essentially wasting 1.425 g of it since the endocrine system treats the excess like any other waste. 

Eating well and diversified foods is good, and sometimes vitamin supplements are beneficial, but daily use of multivitamins and other unnecessary things is, quite literally, pissing your money away.

Offline iri

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 15:21:39 »
**** vitamins, a doctor prescribed me marshmallow sticks.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline JackMills

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 15:36:53 »
Rhodiola & Ginseng, B2, B5, C, that's one pill. Echinacea purpuera that's another pill. BCAA that are 3 pills. And occasionally some Ibuprofen.
Vitamin D comes in liquid so not a pill, but taking it as well.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 December 2014, 15:39:57 by JackMills »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 16:06:25 »
my wife forces me to ocationally take these men vitamins(usually on wekends) the box is probably 3 years old. Almost finished now.

Do you randomly get an erection for like 4 hours after you take your 'man vitamins' which are prescribed by your wife?  :P

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 16:10:41 »
This thread is taking a very pro-vitamin stance.  I would like to get my 2¢ on that since I mentioned I take a vitamin daily.  The only reason I take it is because I have a deficiency, and the doctor prescribed I take it after discontinuing synthroid treatment.

From what I've read and learned in the past, multivitamins and supplements are probably not necessary unless used to treat something in particular.  For example, above the bio-availability maximum of vitamin C, the body excretes it extremely efficiently.  This means that if your body can only absorb 75mg (I don't know the real number here), and you take 1.5 g, you are essentially wasting 1.425 g of it since the endocrine system treats the excess like any other waste. 

Eating well and diversified foods is good, and sometimes vitamin supplements are beneficial, but daily use of multivitamins and other unnecessary things is, quite literally, pissing your money away.

+1...  Don't take pills if you don't KNOW you need it.  Do you know you need a vitamin?  Have you had blood work to SHOW you need to take it?  Taking vitamins just for fun is really a waste...  I don't take any pills of any kind unless there is a specific reason for it...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 16:12:15 »
a lot of you guys should add this to your signatures: #fundingpharmaforfun  :P

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 16:19:59 »
a lot of you guys should add this to your signatures: #fundingpharmaforfun  :p

well when the word disease gets dropped on you its hard not to try just about anything  :-\

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 16:27:58 »

well when the word disease gets dropped on you its hard not to try just about anything  :-\

This is absolutely not directed at you.  You are looking for solutions to actual ailments.  Many of the people in this thread are perfectly healthy and are taking 4-8 pills a day for fun.   That boggles my mind...

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 16:28:52 »
I'm with swill, the only reason I take fish oil caps is cause I'm vegetarian and don't get enough Omega-3, when I can get avocado's I opt to not take the fish oil.

Here in South Africa the variety and quality of fruits is excellent and I plan on having plenty while here.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 16:34:45 »

This is absolutely not directed at you.  You are looking for solutions to actual ailments.  Many of the people in this thread are perfectly healthy and are taking 4-8 pills a day for fun.   That boggles my mind...

no worries and for the record I hate taking pills period  ???

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 16:35:24 »
Walk a mile in my shoes and then tell me I'm taking too many drugs.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline iri

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 16:44:02 »
mmmmm drugs

-Ray Bradbury

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 16:49:59 »
I'm with swill, the only reason I take fish oil caps is cause I'm vegetarian and don't get enough Omega-3, when I can get avocado's I opt to not take the fish oil.

Here in South Africa the variety and quality of fruits is excellent and I plan on having plenty while here.

If you're vegetarian you should try http://m.vitacost.com/products/deva-vegan-omega-3-dha-90-vegan-softgels-1. I used to take fish oil before I was.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 December 2014, 16:53:17 by dustinhxc »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 16:59:45 »
I actually didn't expect this many pill-poppers..

I would've thought most Geeks are into the whole Natural food fad that's been going round..

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 17:26:21 »

If you're vegetarian you should try http://m.vitacost.com/products/deva-vegan-omega-3-dha-90-vegan-softgels-1. I used to take fish oil before I was.

Thanks dustinhxc, I'm not sure if it is available here, but I'll check around. I'm not a super strict vegan, I do consumer milk, eggs, etc just not any form of meat.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 18:23:24 »

Hmm, now that I think of it I probably don't get enough omega-3 either. Thanks for sharing this  :)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 19:08:05 »
We've started adding flax seeds to some of our foods.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 20:22:34 »

Thanks dustinhxc, I'm not sure if it is available here, but I'll check around. I'm not a super strict vegan, I do consumer milk, eggs, etc just not any form of meat.

Hmm, now that I think of it I probably don't get enough omega-3 either. Thanks for sharing this  :)

You're welcome! Flax is great too, liquid is the best form of it.

Offline tbc

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 20:32:18 »

flax is freaking glorious according to everything i've seen.

not to mention flax bread just actually tastes great.

the only gotcha is you have to actually crack the shell, so pregrind or chew thoroughly lol.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 00:07:53 »
I 100% agree. I heard so many times some trusted nutricionist mention that most supplements (if not all) never give the same benefits as eating it same vitamin and/or nutrient from a natural food source.

Why eat fish pills when you can eat fish? Why take vitamins when fruits and vegetables are full of them? etc. And it cost less to eat well that to eat pills and for better results usually.

I eat fish twice a week and take 2000 mg of fish oil on top of that.
I also take 2000 mg of inositol and some prescribed stuff.

Exactly all of this was either prescribed or recommended by my doctor. I would be taking exactly 0 pills otherwise.

Healthy eating and excercise is the way to go.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 01:21:58 »
Flax is great too, liquid is the best form of it.
Too bad that linseed oil tastes horrible.
🍉

Offline iri

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 04:00:54 »
i'm glad i eat enough fat sea fish.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 03:33:15 »

Do you randomly get an erection for like 4 hours after you take your 'man vitamins' which are prescribed by your wife?  :P

:) i call it vitamin V!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 15:38:52 »
The caps are probably made from gelatine, which is not vegetarian .... ;)
Being a vegetarian I tend to avoid gelatine unless it is real medicine, I.e. pain killer, antibiotics, etc.

One thing that bothers me with how pills are made is that the majority contain additives for cosmetic reasons where the health effects are still disputed. For example colloidal silica (texture) and titanium dioxide (nanoparticle, white pigment).

There exists bottled Avocado oil - if you can find it, you won't have to always get fresh avocados. It is often difficult  to time the use of each one in a bag to when it is not too hard and not too soft.
Unfortunately many sources of Omega-3 contains also large amounts of Omega-6, and it is thought that omega-6 somehow counteracts the good effects of omega-3. I am not entire sure how, though...
The only common plant stuff I have heard of that contain much Omega-3 but little Omega-6 is Chia seeds, but I have never seen bottled Chia oil.
🍉

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 16:35:31 »
i can't believe some of the doses of amphets they're giving to children...

I tried some of my friend's ritalin, to see what's up..  that stuff made me zone the hell out..

I started writing out starcraft build orders from 4th grade.. and did it for 9 hours straight..

Offline iri

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 17:25:43 »
It is so nice to be a carnivore. Not avoiding anything.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 20:59:55 »

Luckily, not everyone thinks selfishly like you.

I am proud to be selfless and help save animals. If everyone thought like you, they'd be extinct.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:09:47 »

Luckily, not everyone thinks selfishly like you.

I am proud to be selfless and help save animals. If everyone thought like you, they'd be extinct.

But, but I thought cows and pigs and chickens grow on farms. :P :D ;)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:23:33 »
I heard boneless chicken farms are especially awesome
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:30:10 »

is this a real thing... i've googled it before, seems not possible.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:35:04 »

Omg. The stupid level is over 9000.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:36:13 »

sarcasm is very much a real thing

http://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/article/boneless-skinless-chicken-breast-farm

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:38:37 »

sarcasm is very much a real thing

http://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/article/boneless-skinless-chicken-breast-farm
With the state of stupidity in our society right now I am not convinced that sort of sarcasm is not taken seriously. Sad day...