Author Topic: Recommend me a good mousemat/pad  (Read 17432 times)

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
Recommend me a good mousemat/pad
« on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 12:06:39 »
Hi guys!

So my only good mat experience is on a razer vespula, though I think its time for him to say farewell to me.
I don't know what I actually like tbh. So just recommend away, any price would do.
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
Re: Recommend me a good mousemat/pad
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 12:15:15 »
Steelseries QcK.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 12:37:32 »
I just bought this one a week ago and am digging it so far. Can't comment on long term use yet but so far no issues.
I liek keyboards

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 12:42:40 »
I have had one of the glass Steelseries mouse pads for 10-15 years and it is absolutely excellent.

It does not even need cleaning more often than a couple of times a year (I am clean and careful).
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 12:48:53 »
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 14:25:17 »
Steelseries QcK.
Yep, can't go wrong with these really
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 15:55:25 »
Steelseries QcK.

I just ordered my 2nd one of these a few days ago for home, the 1st is at work. They're like $7, just do it and never look back.
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 16:00:00 »
Artisan Hayate Otsu.

I've had QcK's, Goliathus' and other various mousepads, and I must say I greatly prefer the Hayate Otsu over all of them. The Hayate Zero is pretty nice as well if you like a bit slower pad.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2015, 16:04:02 by epzy »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 16:09:36 »
I'm really liking my Icemat 2nd gen glass mousepad that I just got off ebay. They don't make them anymore, but sometimes you can find people selling used ones on ebay. They're glass so unless you drop it, it should last a very long time. There's also the Steelseries Experience I-2 which is also glass.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 16:25:58 »
I will build you one, granted it isn't cheap.  I built one for mstarr.  His was 18"x24"x1/8" 6061 T-6 aluminum and then cerokoted by Rainbow Paint and Blasting.  For the good sensors that will work with it, it is amazing.  The difference between static and dynamic friction is practically nil.  The only issue is some sensors don't work well on it, and it will tear up mouse feet pretty quick.  He has been using felt skates with it, and they seem to last nicely.

His pad was $250
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 22:12:51 »
If you have a dead LED monitor, you can take the screen apart.

The hard thicker plastic layer looks almost clear but has an almost invisible grid on it. That makes a great pad.

Also, there is a very cool thin metalized/polarized (mylar?) layer that can be fun for something ....
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 08:58:59 »
http://www.artisan-jp.com/all_eng.html

Artisan mousepad, top of the line for me
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 10:41:23 »
Whoaw nice I got so much response :)

So far we got:

QCK - Probably the easiest for me to get. Will try on a store sometime soon.

Melvang custom - Wow. 250$ is too much for me. I guess next time, I'll be careful when I say 'any price' heh.
                             I'm curious though. Can you send me some pictures of your work?

ded led diy - Don't have dead led monitor right now :(

Glass pads - Hmmm, I dont think I'll like glass bro. Thanks for the suggestion bro!

The big one - I'm not really in the big mat kinda thing. Thanks for the suggestion tho!

Artisan - I'll research on these. Do they sell it outside japan? I really hate ordering in Japan (even though I'm technically made in Japan).

FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline bruh123

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 12:35:38 »
The Razor Firefly amazing mouse pad and it just looks amazing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 13:05:57 »

I dont think I'll like glass

I am not one for gimmicks, but there is nothing that remotely approaches glass for feel and accuracy.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 14:18:08 »

I dont think I'll like glass

I am not one for gimmicks, but there is nothing that remotely approaches glass for feel and accuracy.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Hmm, now that's interesting. Is there kind of glass/sensor combo I should know about?
Generally when I try to use my mouse on any glass on desks, it wouldn't work or will have a bad tracking.
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 15:11:48 »
Generally when I try to use my mouse on any glass on desks, it wouldn't work or will have a bad tracking.

Of course!

The laser shoots through the clear glass and is reflected/refracted poorly at best. Clear glass table top won't hit anything until the floor.

"Glass" is the material. Something like my Steelseries is black glass with an etched surface.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 17:08:18 »

So far we got:

Melvang custom - Wow. 250$ is too much for me. I guess next time, I'll be careful when I say 'any price' heh.

It may have been expensive, but the size was absolutely massive.

It was 18" tall and 24" wide.  Plus Cerokote isn't really cheap.  Plus this is 3 square feet of surface to coat, and no holes so it has to sit flat in the drying rack taking up room that could have been used for other stuff had they been able to hang it.

That said 3 square feet of Cerokote cost me $107 and then I had to buy a 2 foot square piece of aluminum and cut it down, plus shipping from Iowa to the east coast.

Pics

http://imgur.com/a/4zzqB#0
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 17:18:32 »
I also have an artizan pad. Amazing quality though the glass coated shidenkai one gets dirty very easily and I can't seem to find a way to clean it. I'm going to be trying their other pads soon. (The shidenkai is my favorite pad to date)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 17:49:25 »

I also have an artizan pad. Amazing quality though the glass coated shidenkai one gets dirty very easily and I can't seem to find a way to clean it. I'm going to be trying their other pads soon. (The shidenkai is my favorite pad to date)

I loved my old shiden and shiden-Kai pads.

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 00:59:00 »

Of course!

The laser shoots through the clear glass and is reflected/refracted poorly at best. Clear glass table top won't hit anything until the floor.

"Glass" is the material. Something like my Steelseries is black glass with an etched surface.

Thanks for the info! Might take that idea if one of our led monitor dies :)
Also you might have forgot this, I was the one who won your MKC keypuller giveaway. I still use it till this day. Thank you, my lord!

So far we got:

It may have been expensive, but the size was absolutely massive.

It was 18" tall and 24" wide.  Plus Cerokote isn't really cheap.  Plus this is 3 square feet of surface to coat, and no holes so it has to sit flat in the drying rack taking up room that could have been used for other stuff had they been able to hang it.

That said 3 square feet of Cerokote cost me $107 and then I had to buy a 2 foot square piece of aluminum and cut it down, plus shipping from Iowa to the east coast.

Pics

http://imgur.com/a/4zzqB#0

Whoaw that is one quality looking pad right there! Thanks for sharing bro :)

So Artisan gets recommended more here and I think it will be my next one!
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 01:49:08 »
So Artisan gets recommended more here and I think it will be my next one!
Yeah this thread has made me want to pick up a Zero M
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 02:01:32 »
Hmmm, this thread reminded me that I wanted an Artisan mouse pad.
I'll probably buy it this winter since I like the coolness of the aluminum on my Roccat Alumic
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 04:25:27 »

Hmmm, this thread reminded me that I wanted an Artisan mouse pad.
I'll probably buy it this winter since I like the coolness of the aluminum on my Roccat Alumic

It would be better if you can try the different type of artisan mouse
There are so many, i had to give them a touch before I purchased one of mine

And the one I like is not commonly like (Hien) its soft
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 09:18:57 »
I have an Artisan shiden kai mid for some years now. I have a white one even, and I don't find it gets dirty easy. It's super easy to clean if it does get dirty looking, I just wipe it off with a soapy sponge then with a damp towel to take the soap residue away. Even after many year of heavy use the surface is still great and still looks almost like new. I also agree it's the best mouse mat. I definitely recommend them.

Offline theryaner

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 05:48:04 »

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 06:29:18 »
I just bought this one a week ago and am digging it so far. Can't comment on long term use yet but so far no issues.

Glorious PC Gaming Race makes really good quality mats and doesn't cost much. I use the XXL 36x18 everyday and the only thing that has worn out in 7 months is the logo on the lower right corner.

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 15:12:53 »
I can also recommend Artisan. I've had my Hayate for almost a year now and I'm very happy with it.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline boTy

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 09:10:09 »
Currently using a Roccat Taito, pretty cheap but also really nice mat. It glides really well with my Logitech G502, and it's pretty big.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 22:12:19 »
Still loving my Glorious deskmat

Offline Happylomo

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 09:00:04 »
Glorious mousepad is very nice. It feels much better than my previous steelseries mousepad.

Offline Seranite

• Doesn't know what's going on.
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 13:17:49 »
Ripper XXL it also comes in different sizes. Great quality, easy to clean, doesn't have ugly designs all over it.

Offline Seranite

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 13:34:16 »
cloth pad ftw....

plasti-pads are the suk
+1

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 15:24:15 »
Ripper XXL it also comes in different sizes. Great quality, easy to clean, doesn't have ugly designs all over it.

yea,  it's a clean pad, although not sure if it's worth $10 over the competition..

I have the XXL, but when I bought mine, it was $10 cheaper

Offline Seranite

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 15:35:59 »

yea,  it's a clean pad, although not sure if it's worth $10 over the competition..

I have the XXL, but when I bought mine, it was $10 cheaper

What's the competition?

Offline Seranite

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 18:49:25 »
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VCOBIP4?psc=1

Price went up to $24.99,   it was $20 a few days ago.

Ah ok. I would still pay $5 more for the cleaner look, but that is my preference.

Offline jamster

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 07:17:09 »
I don't think it's been mentioned on this thread yet, but I noticed that there is an Artisan pad (Hayate Otsu?) up on Massdrop.

I thought that mouse pads were all pretty much the same and had been using a cheap Qck for a while and just replaced it with a larger Logitech G240. The Logitech works, but it feels a bit... **** to be honest. It's really thin, which would be okay if it were not also bumpy on the underside. I can feel the bumps whenever my fingers contact the mouse pad. The thing works, but it does not feel nice at all. I think I'll ditch it for another Qck.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 July 2015, 07:20:35 by jamster »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 08:41:38 »
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VCOBIP4?psc=1

Price went up to $24.99,   it was $20 a few days ago.

Ah ok. I would still pay $5 more for the cleaner look, but that is my preference.

$5 ,  yea,  but if it were $10.. I wouldn't-ve

Offline Seranite

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 12:06:16 »
I don't think it's been mentioned on this thread yet, but I noticed that there is an Artisan pad (Hayate Otsu?) up on Massdrop.

I thought that mouse pads were all pretty much the same and had been using a cheap Qck for a while and just replaced it with a larger Logitech G240. The Logitech works, but it feels a bit... **** to be honest. It's really thin, which would be okay if it were not also bumpy on the underside. I can feel the bumps whenever my fingers contact the mouse pad. The thing works, but it does not feel nice at all. I think I'll ditch it for another Qck.

I'd have to be a real mouse pad enthusiast to buy a "large" 16.5" x 13.0" pad for $40.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 12:19:54 »

I'd have to be a real mouse pad enthusiast to buy a "large" 16.5" x 13.0" pad for $40.

The artisan guys are awesome.  I bought mine from amazon almost 2 years ago, and it's still in great condition and a breeze to clean.  The rep I spoke to in the process was friendly and even offered to proxy stuff for me  :))

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask us. And if you look for something from Japan, please let me know anytime. I'd love to help you to find it. =)
Again, thank you very much for choosing ARTISAN

Offline Seranite

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 12:31:38 »

The artisan guys are awesome.  I bought mine from amazon almost 2 years ago, and it's still in great condition and a breeze to clean.  The rep I spoke to in the process was friendly and even offered to proxy stuff for me  :))

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask us. And if you look for something from Japan, please let me know anytime. I'd love to help you to find it. =)
Again, thank you very much for choosing ARTISAN

I'm sure it's worth the money if you're willing to spend a little more on something like that, but my current Ripper XXL fits the same criteria; easy to clean and little to no wear and tear even after a couple of years. I guess for me it's not important where my mouse pad came from or who made it. I suppose my attention to artisan detail doesn't span quite that far.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 04:10:55 »
If you have a glass desk (or not), you should look into the Razor Sphex.

It's paper thin and sticks to the desk (it's easy to remove and clean), so not only does it not move, but feels like there's nothing under the mouse. To clean, just wipe.

I HATE hard pads, but this one, I love.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Elth

• Easy now fuzzy little man peach
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 11:38:14 »
I've had a Razer Goliathus for a while. Not sure how much I paid, but it's in the $20-25 range. Not bad if you don't mind the flashy green aspect.
TGR Jane V2 | TGR 910 | TGR Jane CE

Offline Happylomo

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 20:08:37 »
Yeah, the reason i chose Glorious mat over Razer Goliathus is becase of that flashy green. How's the quality though?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 20:09:34 »
Epzy just hooked me up with an artisan for my bday. Gonna give it a try this week since he's always raving about it.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Elth

• Easy now fuzzy little man peach
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 20:13:37 »
Yeah, the reason i chose Glorious mat over Razer Goliathus is becase of that flashy green. How's the quality though?

I've had the Razer for over a year. No signs of fading or threads coming out.
TGR Jane V2 | TGR 910 | TGR Jane CE

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 12:28:15 »
Epzy just hooked me up with an artisan for my bday. Gonna give it a try this week since he's always raving about it.

Post results, wanna see if it's really that much better than my Steelseries. :P
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline jukaduke1184

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 21:41:11 »
The Steelseries QcK is pretty nice. Decent selection of sizes as well.