Author Topic: Pretend to be veteran  (Read 4541 times)

Offline jameslr

Pretend to be veteran
« on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 09:38:59 »
Same spirit as "pretend to be noob" thread...Here are some examples to get you started:

"Working on a full set of DonkeyDong MX Milky Blue Clears with Green stems and some springs from some Topre switches I ripped apart (cry moar noobs) for my ergodox made entirely of CCs. Yeah, I know you're jelly."

"Anyone try the new hydraulic key switches? I really feel my fingers getting ripped. I'm working on my Touch of Death technique."

"I'm getting ready to propose to my girlfriend of more than 9 years. I'm thinking about getting her a ring with a Octopink MX Skull CC that has diamonds for eyes. Thinking about popping the question over a game of scrabble (time to bring out my custom PBT dyesub scrabble keycap set), and I thought about pre-loading her letter rack with M3 A1 R1 R1 Y4 M3 E1. Think she'll say yes???"

"shrugs. did you use the search feature?"
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Re: Pretend to be veteran
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 09:40:28 »
I think you'll find the springs in vintage greens are closer to the springs in vintage blues than the springs in vintage blues are.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 09:41:26 »
I think I'll get a star now that I have 4k posts. I think I've really earned the respect of the community and I want the plebes to know just how baller I am based on my cute star.

-Typed from my Siig Minitouch with Vintage spring mod, custom Alps Clack, Korean custom plate, and custom case

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 09:43:42 »
I think you'll find the springs in vintage greens are closer to the springs in vintage blues than the springs in vintage blues are.

CLEARLY you've never even been within a mile of Vintage Browns... The springs on those are like modern blacks but have more coils to increase polling rates... Better overall performance compared to anything else.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 09:45:55 »
geekhack is for noobs, deskthority is so much better.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 09:48:32 »
Who even comes to the Western sites anymore? Noobs. Everyone knows KBD and OTD are where it's at.

#KOREANCUSTOMS #LEGITBALLIN

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 09:49:17 »
Who even comes to the Western sites anymore? Noobs. Everyone knows KBD and OTD are where it's at.

If you can't understand the language then it makes it even more fresh.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 09:52:17 »
-Typed from my Siig Minitouch with Vintage spring mod, custom Alps Clack, Korean custom plate, and custom case

This is pretend to be a veteran, not a hipster...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 09:52:45 »

This is pretend to be a veteran, not a hipster...

Oh I'm sorry, do you even KMAC?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 09:53:39 »
Back in 1984 when I was building the first Model F I considered making the case out of adamantium, but then settled on using mithril instead. The ones with mithril backplates are a lot harder to find nowadays.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 09:54:27 »
I can't be a noob look at my post count  ::)

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 09:55:40 »
What bothers me more than anything else is when new people get into mechanical keyboards and don't immediately go for beam springs or hall effects. They not only subject themselves to an inferior experience, but make the community as a whole look worse as well

Offline Larken

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 10:25:26 »
Today I went to a keyboard shop and saw a guy with a kmac laughing at a guy with a phantom. The phantom owner was laughing at another guy with a filco who was laughing at another guy with a cm qfr who was chuckling at the guy looking at a razer blackwidow ultimate.

Everyone ignored the guy playing with a HHKB, which was placed in the aisle for rubber domes.

Two guys looking at keyboards with black switches, and one of them said, old vintage blacks are always better. The other guy said that lube can solve everything. The other guy replied, "ewww. why would you use KY jelly on that?"

Then I went to aisle number G81 and saw a moose standing there. It grunted and said something that sounded like, "MY!". I called animal control.

There was an entire aisle reserved for Click Clacks, and there was maybe 300 people there, squeezing to get in. The weird thing? There was only about 60 caps there, and it took up less than a quarter of one shelf.

I thought it was all pretty amusing, so I woke up and made a post about it on my ergodox.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 10:28:03 »
Today I went to a keyboard shop and saw a guy with a kmac laughing at a guy with a phantom. The phantom owner was laughing at another guy with a filco who was laughing at another guy with a cm qfr who was chuckling at the guy looking at a razer blackwidow ultimate.

Everyone ignored the guy playing with a HHKB, which was placed in the aisle for rubber domes.

Two guys looking at keyboards with black switches, and one of them said, old vintage blacks are always better. The other guy said that lube can solve everything. The other guy replied, "ewww. why would you use KY jelly on that?"

Then I went to aisle number G81 and saw a moose standing there. It grunted and said something that sounded like, "MY!". I called animal control.

There was an entire aisle reserved for Click Clacks, and there was maybe 300 people there, squeezing to get in. The weird thing? There was only about 60 caps there, and it took up less than a quarter of one shelf.

I thought it was all pretty amusing, so I woke up and made a post about it on my ergodox.

Best post in the thread so far!
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 10:30:21 »
I'm only here for the group buys.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 10:34:19 »
Dont argue with me, my post count is higher than all the money you have spent on keyboards since the beginning of time  :p

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 10:47:41 »
One day I typed so fast that my fingers turned blue. Any fan of Sonic the Hedgehog would think this was a good thing, but my fingers ended up falling off. Good thing I can still input keystrokes directly with my mind.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 August 2013, 10:49:43 by PointyFox »

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 10:50:19 »
One day I typed so fast that my fingers turned blue. Any fan of Sonic the Hedgehog would think this was a good thing, but my fingers ended up falling off. Good thing I can still input keystrokes directly with my mind mind.

That's Stephen Hawking :cool:

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 10:54:03 »
One day I typed so fast that my fingers turned blue. Any fan of Sonic the Hedgehog would think this was a good thing, but my fingers ended up falling off. Good thing I can still input keystrokes directly with my mind.

Happened to my left hand. Thank god for my DataHand. Using that bad boy to type this now with just my right hand.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 10:58:32 »
Every switch type I've used has a bottom - out force of 5.97219*10^24 kg.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 11:00:19 »
Here is a rainbow circle of all my MX clacks. I am not using them of course , I only do alps now.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Halvar

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 11:00:52 »

[image missing]

It's keyboard science!

friggin noob.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 August 2013, 11:02:43 by Halvar »

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 11:00:52 »
Here is a rainbow circle of all my MX clacks. I am not using them of course , I only do alps now.

Heh!

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 11:11:58 »
I've tuned my appreciation for keyboards with the time it took for my topre's return policy to expire.  MX are dead to me.

WTB topre clacks.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 12:07:23 »
I changed the plungers on my realforce 87U to sone with a .02mm thickness isntead of the .08mm that it has standard, and it feels almost like vintage buckling springs from a 1991 model M, or maybe a 1992.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 12:56:30 »

Only post worth reading. Everyone else just #FAIL.

/thread
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 12:58:07 »
I think I'll get a star now that I have 4k posts. I think I've really earned the respect of the community and I want the plebes to know just how baller I am based on my cute star.

Are you kidding me ????
A star for talking that much?
You would be charged!
Using too much space ...
 ;D
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 13:12:14 »
Just got my 11th korean board in the mail.
Plugged it in to check if everything was working.
I felt the new 62.000009999 springs were a little heavy, ehh whatever.
Better get off to the vacuum sealer,

#MINT #KOREANCUSTOMZ
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 13:33:10 »
I have evolved beyond keycaps, I just type directly on the switches.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 13:34:20 »
None of you guys should be typing in this thread, because you can't pretend to be a veteran if you're a veteran...

This is a noob only thread... 

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 13:43:27 »
None of you guys should be typing in this thread, because you can't pretend to be a veteran if you're a veteran...

This is a noob only thread...
I'm not a veteran
3 months only!
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 13:47:30 »
Sleeping on my F AT while camping in 4grabs

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 13:52:26 »

/thread

That is a good post. But how can you fail in a nonsense thread? Elitism in nonsense now?
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 14:35:53 »

/thread

That is a good post. But how can you fail in a nonsense thread? Elitism in nonsense now?

The true veteran post is elite nonsense xD
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 14:57:01 »
TIL You can't be elitist in an elitist thread.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 14:59:47 »

I want an elitist cable.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 15:03:02 »

I want an elitist cable.

Ok, it has gold usb ends, gold cabling with gold shielding and gold heatshrink.

Its cost?  Gold.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 15:07:26 »

I want an elitist cable.

Ok, it has gold usb ends, gold cabling with gold shielding and gold heatshrink.

Its cost?  Gold.

Good thing I've got a gold desk to hold it up otherwise it might turn into this.

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 15:08:13 »

10/10

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 15:32:02 »

I want an elitist cable.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-16241-audioquest-diamond-usb-b-plug-cable.aspx

That's merely silver.

Pff. Plebe, silver has the highest conductivity of all metals... Gold just HAPPENS to be the most stable and resistant to everything. Where's Sifo when you need him, we all know he has at least 7 gold cables lying around.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 15:33:24 »

I want an elitist cable.

That's merely silver.

Pff. Plebe, silver has the highest conductivity of all metals... Gold just HAPPENS to be the most stable and resistant to everything. Where's Sifo when you need him, we all know he has at least 7 gold cables lying around.

Obv I need to offer a optic cable made of diamond.

Also, it's not about what works better, it's about what's more elite, or expensive in this case.  Therefore gold > silver.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 15:34:16 »

I want an elitist cable.

That's merely silver.

He's down to 5, two were sacrificed to make more gold springs.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 15:46:50 »
...just get the kinesis advantage
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline pasph

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 16:22:36 »
My kb is so modded that i can't even remember what kb it was...IF it was a kb
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline iri

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 17:13:08 »

동의했다.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 17:56:40 »
I have no need to pretend.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 18:12:44 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ