Author Topic: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?  (Read 117722 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Do you use Win10 and if so, why?
« on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 21:29:28 »
Inspired by the open Source Sucks thread...
This is something I've been meaning to ask for a while.

Do you guys like win10 or do you just use it because you were forced to?

I don't think I've ever gotten to work on a Win10 system that was working at normal speed unless I've hacked it to hell to disable updates and such. That's not an exaggeration, however you have to bear in mind, I mostly get to use it when new and still getting updates or it's broken since I only use it on other people's computers (I'm an independent tech). This leads me to wonder though, does it ever run good, or are people just tolerating it?

Edit:
I'm not trying to use this as prelude to a bash, I genuinely want to know why people like and use it. I just want to understand because I really don't get it. Have I missed something?
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 December 2018, 21:32:58 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline PadawanGeek

Re: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 22:00:44 »
I've been using Windows since, well, Windows 95 IIRC. I'd progressed from Win95 thru its various iterations to Win10, all my desktop rigs are 64bit Win 10 based, I've never really encountered any issue with Windows, great for what I use it for.....some office work, media entertainment and gaming.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 December 2018, 22:02:18 by PadawanGeek »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 22:52:46 »
My main desktop at home is running Windows 10. I resisted upgrading from Windows 7 for a year, but I didn't want to lose out on the free upgrade. I only use my home computer for playing video games, storing photographs, and web browsing. Windows 10 does those things just fine. I mainly upgraded because IIRC video card drivers or APIs or something were not going to be supported on anything prior to Win 10. There was also a stuttering issue with i7 processors and Windows 7 on Battlefield 4 that I was tired of dealing with.

I upgraded my Thinkpad to Win 10, but I ended up restoring Windows 7. One thing I hate about Win 10 is that it is not consistent. A clean installation is slightly different from an upgraded Win 7 installation, and even different Win 7 installations upgrade differently from each other (weird little differences in the UI and start menu that annoy me and can't be changed).

My desktop at work runs Windows 10. It works all right. One issue that we've had is that updates can only be delayed for up to one year IIRC, and Win 10 updates very frequently break things in our automated testing. When we hit the one year mark, people started having issues from updates that couldn't be reverted (I may be getting Visual Studio updates confused with Win 10 OS updates, but I think they both caused problems). The guy that tests updates before giving the go-ahead to install them has talked to Microsoft quite a bit, but MS basically doesn't care.

I think it's funny that the Windows 10 setting menus are very basic and almost useless and that I have to access the "old" control panel to do change anything useful.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline whalematrontron

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 23:16:37 »
Windows 10 has always worked fine for me

Offline JianYang

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 23:27:37 »
I work a lot in both Windows and Linux for some cross-platform development. I find that when I am in Windows, I almost always have a Virtual machine open on another desktop running Linux. When I am in Ubuntu, I will almost never need a Windows virtual machine.

I have noticed that Microsoft have eroded the users control with the past couple of years of updates. I find that disabling telemetry completely is near impossible, and it will be re-enabled to some extent after each update.

Overall, I am spending most of my time in Ubuntu, and with Windows becoming more and more annoying I find myself slowly migrating completely.

I can't afford the software...

Most users don't directly pay for it - it is included with the price of the hardware. The machine I am currently using came with Windows 10, but I am using Ubuntu (mostly because I want to actually be in control).

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 23:52:27 »
I've got a Windows 10 desktop that I use exclusively for MS Office and Steam. I've also got a failing laptop with Win10 that sees very occasional use with MS Office. There's a few games I enjoy that I don't really want to put the effort into getting them working on Linux, and although LibreOffice works quite well for 90% of the work I do, it's sometimes easier to get the right formatting with Word or Powerpoint, and I haven't yet found anything that works as nicely as Publisher for making posters.

I used Windows exclusively from Win98 onward until 2009 or 2010, when I had a laptop that wasn't quite handling Vista nicely, so I threw Ubuntu on it. It wasn't quite comfortable enough for my day-to-day use, but it wasn't all that bad either. A few years later, that laptop got Crunchbang, which was a great experience.

In 2013 or so, I started dual-booting my (Windows 7) desktop, first with Mint (probably 16 at the time). I found that most of what I needed to do, I could do in Linux, and it was easier for writing code, so that's where I stayed most of the time. I tried a couple of different distros on that machine, and a few older desktops, before settling on a customized Debian netinstall.

In 2016, I upgraded the Windows partition to Windows 10. I found it a step further away from the Linux environment I'd become more used to, and I didn't enjoy using it any more. I built a new (to me, at least) computer late 2016, and didn't even bother trying to put Windows on the new one. When I want or need to use Windows-only software, I boot up the old machine, but I feel like I'm fighting the interface a lot more than I do with Mint, even for just basic tasks. I am still more comfortable with Windows 10 than with Mac OS, although that's probably more from experience than anything else.

If I could get away with never using Windows, I'd happily do so. However, with the work I do, it's not completely realistic at this point. It's possible that there's a way to make the Windows 10 UI closer to what I'd like, but at this point, I'm not willing to put enough time into it to figure that out.

I guess I kind of rambled on more than was really necessary to answer the question, and I'm not sure if it's really what you're looking for, but there it is.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 00:18:38 »
I've had windows 10 on many computers at this point (family, friends, mine) and have had no problems with it at all.  Works quite fast. I loved 7, resisted upgrading to 8, then was glad when I did (overall faster, got used to the UI and had no issues with it).  10 is like an extension of 8.  Upgraded to 10 soon after it came out.  I still just don't understand why people have such issues upgrading to the latest windows versions--always a lot of drama and complaints associated with new releases.  Some people (*cough*) still want us to use Windows 95...
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline yuppie

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 02:08:45 »
Gaming.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 04:45:09 »
I guess I kind of rambled on more than was really necessary to answer the question, and I'm not sure if it's really what you're looking for, but there it is.
Not looking for anything specifically.

I stopped using it a while back and now I tend to only see the problems with Win10 since that is part of my job I don't get to see the good side of it and my customers just kind of shrug when asked.

I still just don't understand why people have such issues upgrading to the latest windows versions--always a lot of drama and complaints associated with new releases.  Some people (*cough*) still want us to use Windows 95...
I started on ummmm, let's just say an older version of Windows and used every beta since, including Win10 beta. I used Win10 as soon as it became open to beta testers and used it until a week after it was released to manufacturing and issued licenses to beta testers. Historically, I was usually one of the first people onto a new version of Windows and can switch between Windows, Mac and Linux rather seamlessly so it's not a problem of not wanting to moving forward.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline AJM

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 05:56:54 »
I've used Windows since version 3 - skipping only Vista/8.
As usual it took me some time to accept the design change from 7 to 10, but today I couldn't look at Windows 7 again.
Apart from that, I didn't have any problems with Win10. It's probably the first OS that got faster with a newer version instead of slower. It's saying something, when a hardware manufacturer is complaining that Windows 10 is too fast and he can't sell as many new PCs as usual.
Windows obviously has the largest range of compatible software and drivers.
I use LINUX at work, but see no reason to use it privately.
Apple has some nice hardware, so I try to live with its software on iPhones and iPads (in jailbroken form). Android is in many regards worse, so there isn't even an alternative, but on a desktop I couldn't live with the infantilizing by Apple.

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 07:53:54 »
The only way I'm upgrading my computers from Windows 7 is if React OS is released, or I force myself to use Linux (again)...

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 08:44:30 »
I just got out of a monogamous two year relationship with the linux kernel in favor of installing Windows 7 (Maxis games, other picky games, and CAD).  Ideally I would use a newer system and pass a quadro to a Win10 VM (I like rolling releases).

Offline menuhin

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 09:03:09 »
I still use Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 on a 64-bit machine.
The major reason is I have to use a few software packages that is native to Windows:

1. E-Prime - a super buggy fuxking piece of crap but almost monopolized human behavioral experimentation software world;
2. MS Word - some collaborator I work with for some manuscript need to make use of the "Tracking changes" function of MS Word, my license is 2010 or 2013, pretty old but still stable;
3. MS OneNote - I have typed and handwritten lots of notes in this format and I need this piece of wonderful automatically indexed application to read them, plus OneNote is wonderful;
4. MS PowerPoint and Excel maybe for their native format support, and Outlook to open some archived mail folder files.

I use the fantastic LibreOffice also, on my linux machine, but their compatibility with MS formats though decent are not great.
I also use LaTeX, but I cannot expect my collaborators to work with me in LaTeX format or only in PDF markup manner.

Other than what I mentioned above, I stick to Emacs, R, GIMP, Inkscape and make other more reliable open-source goodies.

I love to use my Linux Machine as my main machine but still using the Windows 10 machine more often.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Tactile

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 09:17:01 »
I'd used Win 10 prior but about a year and a half ago I built the computer I'm using now. Asrock mobo, Core I7 7700, 16 gig ram, Mushkin Reactor 1 TB ssd, blah blah...

I installed Win 10 (with a proper license, not bootleg) and have had no problems. This machine is rock solid and performs well. For many years I've read of people having this or that problem but never happened to me. It might have something to do with the fact I don't have a Microsoft account or Microsoft ID, or whatever it's called, so maybe some updates aren't shoved to my machine.

Anyway, with the performance of this machine I see no reason to *not* run Win 10.
REΛLFORCE

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 20:12:42 »
I have a PC at home running Windows 7 used for light gaming.  To be used for heavier gaming if I ever get around to (i.e. can afford) to upgrade GPU etc.  I have no plans to upgrade to Windows 10.

Some of the PCs at work run Windows 10, although I use a Mac now.  I have to support them occasionally.  Can't find anything, dialogs are moved around or removed for no apparent reason.  Incomprehensible ribbons have replaced simple menus.  The start menu is full of advertisements.

I've heard tales of Windows 10 updates spontaneously rebooting PCs regardless of what they are being used for, and even whether they are actually being used at the time or not.  Windows 10 updates randomly deleting user files and applications.

I have no plans to use Windows 10.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 20:59:12 »
My laptop XPS L702X and T5400 Desktop both are running Windows 10 Pro.

The laptop had a few issues initially but once I got the boot loader straightened out it has worked great, I'm not sure it properly switches between the nvidia card and the intel built in but Windows 7 didn't always either. I even managed to get windows media center running on it and the tv tuner works.

The T5400 I rebuilt with 32 gig ram and added another cpu so it has 2, it's running an ssd boot drive and a couple terabyte storage drive, also added a usb 3 card and a 1060.

I've tried various tweaks but I've undone most of them, they just caused issues with updates etc and honestly didn't seem to add anything beneficial.

I've done everything from gaming to cad work on the desktop and it has worked well, mostly just web browsing though, really the same with the laptop but I got tired of the fan running all the time on it so I hardly use it anymore.

I'd like to get one of those ultra small systems and strap it up under the desk and get rid of this heater (the T5400).

All the new precision machines at work are running windows 10 except my old beast from 2009, it's still running windows 7  but it will run windows 10, I put it on a secondary drive for testing.

I agree with Tactile I see no reason not to use windows 10.

I do admit I hung on to windows xp a lot longer than I should have and I did enjoy windows 7 and still do but at this point I'd choose windows 10 if given the choice.

Offline Larken

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 22:31:24 »
Been on every Windows release since 3.1, skipped 8. I honestly do not mind Windows 10 at all, it is an overall upgrade compared to Win7 imo. It dumbs down a good part of the troubleshooting and driver installation, and requires much less tweaking. Probably not as appealing to power users, but all I need my computer to do nowadays is to work smoothly, which it does.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 04:42:24 »
Probably not as appealing to power users, but all I need my computer to do nowadays is to work smoothly, which it does.
That could be some of it, I'm used to having way more control and when it does so much behind the scenes without permission or ability to stop it, it just irks me to no end. My current desktop is the first time I've ever felt I had any resources to spare.

Don't think this is because the systems were bad, they were all high end systems (the two prior systems were Core I7 with 16gigs and ssd), just that this is the first one I have yet to bring to its knees under hard use.

Some of the PCs at work run Windows 10, although I use a Mac now.  I have to support them occasionally.  Can't find anything, dialogs are moved around or removed for no apparent reason.  Incomprehensible ribbons have replaced simple menus.  The start menu is full of advertisements.

{cut}

You are in the same situation as me, from an outsider looking in perspective, it comes across as a horrible, horrible mess.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline JP

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 07:41:01 »
My PC randomly crashes / halts maybe once a week typically while using a web browser, either Chrome or FF. Back when I ran Win 7 it ran flawlessly.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 07:47:02 »
The driver installation is the *only* thing good about W10.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 09:25:45 »
...The start menu is full of advertisements...

That's something I forgot to mention. I use Start10.
REΛLFORCE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 10:34:50 »
They should just give out win10 for free.   GG, MacOS..

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 10:45:55 »
home & work. runs perfectly fine.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 16:12:04 »
Windows 10 has always worked fine for me

Same.  To expand more, I've tried Mac 3 times (started with Apple), 4 different flavors of Linux, OS/2, and a smattering of others.  I've found that all of them have their peculiarities.  I'm more productive in Windows, for work, and for home.

The start menu is full of advertisements.

I'm not sure if you're not using a full version of Windows 10 or what, but none of the machines that I have windows 10 on them have ads in the Start menu.  And they're all using the default start menu, and I've not changed it (because I don't really use the Start Menu, I use truelaunchbar and fences)
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 December 2018, 16:15:14 by chuckdee »

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 18:45:46 »

I'm not sure if you're not using a full version of Windows 10 or what, but none of the machines that I have windows 10 on them have ads in the Start menu.  And they're all using the default start menu, and I've not changed it (because I don't really use the Start Menu, I use truelaunchbar and fences)

If you look at the picture in this TechNet Blog (it's not letting me hotlink the picture) you can see "suggested" apps.  I'd say that qualifies as an ad.

As for my thoughts on Windows 10:

•I still have a sour taste in my mouth over how aggressive Microsoft was in encouraging (tricking) people into upgrading.
•I dislike the new start menu (although that can be fixed with Classic Shell/Open Shell).
•I dislike the lack of control Microsoft now gives over the update process (although I get that forced regular updates is probably better for everyone collectively).
•I dislike the hard push to connect everything to the cloud.
•I had a friend who tried to add a dual boot Windows 10 to their existing windows 7 setup.  They didn't know about the Fast Startup feature and it screwed up their existing Windows 7 install pretty bad.  For most people, faster startup is only going to be a good thing, but nothing excuses a convenience feature that can come at the expense of data loss.
•I also think Microsoft has lost their way in providing a workstation type OS.  A fresh install of a business OS should not greet the user with Candy Crush and XBox tiles.  A large organization may have the resources to customize an Enterprise image to their exact specifications and mass deploy is, but a small/medium business is just going to start off with a Pro install and have to deal with everything that comes with it.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 19:04:21 »
I can't afford the software...

use any Windows 7 or 8 key and you can activate Win10
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 19:21:02 »
My PC randomly crashes / halts maybe once a week typically while using a web browser, either Chrome or FF. Back when I ran Win 7 it ran flawlessly.
There is a bug, no one is sure of the cause, but some systems just cannot run run chrome, some cannot run FF, but usually it's only one or the other.

I would run a memory scan (memtest86) and check your drive for errors. Defraggler has a health tab that will show your drive stats, check for reallocated sectors, uncorrectable sector count as those are indicators of your drive failing. If there is even one in either of those, start backing up your system as your drive is failing.

If you get a memory error, take out all but one stick and re-run the test until you find and remove all of the bad sticks. You may be gimped on ram, but it's better than bad ram. Bad ram will corrupt ANYTHING that goes through that section of memory. I had it happen once on the first stick and it raised hell with my data and took months to weed out all of the corrupted personal files.

They should just give out win10 for free.   GG, MacOS..
They do.
Windows is free on any system with a 10 or12in screen or smaller, and even an unregistered copy works.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 19:25:15 »
I also think Microsoft has lost their way in providing a workstation type OS.  A fresh install of a business OS should not greet the user with Candy Crush and XBox tiles.  A large organization may have the resources to customize an Enterprise image to their exact specifications and mass deploy is, but a small/medium business is just going to start off with a Pro install and have to deal with everything that comes with it.
Enterprise edition is free of Candy Crush and such, it even lacks web apps, it's like a fresh Win7 install. Supposedly the latest (Redstone 5)  also allows for more customization in terms of updates and spying but I haven't had a chance to test it.

Companies not using Enterprise though, have largely given up trying to clean up a normal Win10 install. It's just simply too much effort to keep it clear of MS' BS.
O&O Shutup 10 can help, so does Win10 privacy, I've used bot to varying degrees of success. Problem is, take out too much and you even gimp driver installs.

If I was running Win10 though, it would be Enterprise, legal or not. Pro and Basic is just not an option even worth considering.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 20:09:19 »

{cut}

You are in the same situation as me, from an outsider looking in perspective, it comes across as a horrible, horrible mess.

To be fair though, a lot of Linux distros have gone the same way.  Weird GUIs, radical layout changes, systemd ...

I use Macs mostly now, routinely since about 10.4.  The UI has changed a little in that time, but each version introduces only minor changes, and they are pretty east to get used to.

Hardware changes is another matter.  Motorola -> PowerPC -> Intel -> ARM (maybe?).  30-pin connector -> lightning -> ?  Headphone socket.  USB ports.  Mouse buttons.  Et hoc genus omne.  Some of those changes take a lot]/b] of getting used to.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 21:01:04 »
To be fair though, a lot of Linux distros have gone the same way.  Weird GUIs, radical layout changes, systemd ...
You can pick a distro without systemd, or a different DE or package manager. With Windows you get what MS shoves down your throat.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 22:16:47 »

If you look at the picture in this TechNet Blog (it's not letting me hotlink the picture) you can see "suggested" apps.  I'd say that qualifies as an ad.

I've seen that picture in several places.  But I've never seen that on my PC in use.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 03:45:19 »
I've seen that picture in several places.  But I've never seen that on my PC in use.

It depends on your version of windows, on OEM (pre-instaleld) copies it tends to be on by default.
It can be turned on and off by going to settings, personalization, start, then change the "show suggestions on occasion on the start menu".
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 04:32:19 »
Gaming.
I use Win10 for gaming as well.

Offline Cynamin

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 09:41:30 »
I have win10 on my desktop solely for gaming. having to use it after a long day of using my laptop with arch is awful, and it makes me wish for steam proton to really hit the mainstream.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 18:53:10 »
Windows 10 is my main entertainment / development / production system on desktops and I'm fine with 22 more years of Windows if I can.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 01:05:25 »

It depends on your version of windows, on OEM (pre-instaleld) copies it tends to be on by default.
It can be turned on and off by going to settings, personalization, start, then change the "show suggestions on occasion on the start menu".

I have an OEM and two upgrades and on none of them have I ever seen it nor have I turned it off.  Actually, I just checked, and that setting is on in the settings for my primary desktop.  But I've never seen them. 

* chuckdee shrugs

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 19:42:18 »

I have an OEM and two upgrades and on none of them have I ever seen it nor have I turned it off.  Actually, I just checked, and that setting is on in the settings for my primary desktop.  But I've never seen them. 

* chuckdee shrugs
I haven't paid attention to it enough to see if maybe home gets them more often, or pro doesn't at all. Or maybe it depends on when it was installed and what version. Not sure, it does seem to be random, so maybe OEM depends on your vendor or... Who knows.

This has been one complaint people have had with Win10 is that you can look at 10 computers with Win10 and several of them will be different no matter how much you try and keep them alike. Some of this can be chalked up to newer vs older installs, but that doesn't explain all of it the oddities people have seen.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 20:01:57 »
When I upgraded my Windows 7 32bit (grandfathered via legit OEM) to Windows 7 64bit (currently using again) and then to Windows 10 Home 64bit I too saw the likes of Candy Crush and One Drive.

That and an extra 500MB+ of RAM usage at startup. Which I assumed was a convenience tax due to the freshly vacant software testing department.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 21:03:23 »
When I upgraded my Windows 7 32bit (grandfathered via legit OEM) to Windows 7 64bit (currently using again) and then to Windows 10 Home 64bit I too saw the likes of Candy Crush and One Drive.

That and an extra 500MB+ of RAM usage at startup. Which I assumed was a convenience tax due to the freshly vacant software testing department.
Everyone but Enterprise gets Candy Crush.
Pretty sure it's the same for One Drive.

As for the 500 megs... We used to have a saying, "What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away".
We are actually in a boon time for users, in that the hardware has FINALLY outpaced the software, and while this may be the last Windows OS,  that doesn't mean system requirements will not continue to grow. Every OS starts with lower system requirements than it ends with and with Microsoft not doing in house quality assurance and users having more hardware than the software needs, MS has no incentive to make sure everything runs optimal, and applications grow, that is just how it is.

Besides, if they didn't drag you down, what incentive would you have to go buy a new computer?
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 22:50:12 »
Yes, I have Candy Crush (the new Solitaire) on mine.  I actually use OneDrive.  5x1TB for $9.99/month is a hard one to beat.  With Office as the cherry on top.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 11:52:08 »
Microsoft didn't give me a choice as to whether I wanted to have One Drive software installed so that kind of drove me away from it.  If it didn't take me seven hours to upload 5GB I would probably go with the SpiderOak $12 plan to backup all my OS partitions.  Although I've heard good things about Seafile, my local Nextcloud (webdav included) setup has been fine for my backup and file storage needs.  Give me the option to remove OneDrive (~2015) without trying to reinstall (Candy Crush as well) it after every update and I would have been content.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 17:13:32 »
Enterprise edition is free of Candy Crush and such, it even lacks web apps, it's like a fresh Win7 install. Supposedly the latest (Redstone 5)  also allows for more customization in terms of updates and spying but I haven't had a chance to test it.

Companies not using Enterprise though, have largely given up trying to clean up a normal Win10 install. It's just simply too much effort to keep it clear of MS' BS.
O&O Shutup 10 can help, so does Win10 privacy, I've used bot to varying degrees of success. Problem is, take out too much and you even gimp driver installs.

If I was running Win10 though, it would be Enterprise, legal or not. Pro and Basic is just not an option even worth considering.

I have the same thoughts about Win10. Imo, Win10 Home/Pro should be FreeWare; Microsoft's converted Windows into a service that continually generates revenue for them after you pay to use it, and even had/has the tenacity to bundle updates in timed releases and in unstable conditions to boot. This is not ok for a company to do from my point of view, but it's tolerated because too many users are not savvy to software ethics or pro-consumer practices.

If I were to take a guess, I'd be willing to bet that eventually Windows will have a subscription based service. Last I heard, Microsoft plans to stick to Win10 for a long time, and if true, they're going to want to increase the revenue it generates outside of OEM sales and data profiting, when it finally saturates the market. The next step is to leverage a subscription based model that promises more stable update releases and the possibly disabling a small portion of telemetry to entice users to bite.

I'm not a heavy gamer anymore, so I've been putting off upgrading hardware so I'm not forced onto Win10, but it'll only last so long, and so I've been looking into enterprise versions myself. Linux has been making great headway, but it still requires a good amount of investment to get some Win native games working. I can only hope that more game developers start pushing out linux versions of their games.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 December 2018, 17:16:22 by Skull_Angel »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 18:15:12 »
Microsoft didn't give me a choice as to whether I wanted to have One Drive software installed so that kind of drove me away from it.  If it didn't take me seven hours to upload 5GB I would probably go with the SpiderOak $12 plan to backup all my OS partitions.  Although I've heard good things about Seafile, my local Nextcloud (webdav included) setup has been fine for my backup and file storage needs.  Give me the option to remove OneDrive (~2015) without trying to reinstall (Candy Crush as well) it after every update and I would have been content.
CandyCrush and other stuff, including one Drive at one time was relatively simple to remove, but MS has continuously made it more and more difficult and will be reinstalled next major update, with changes to make it harder to remove again. There is one program that can do it and keep it removed (win10privacy), as well as remove ALL of the garbage, however in order to keep them away you need to disable updates. Remove too much and even driver updates and installs get borked though. A better option is to just install enterprise edition if you can get a copy, every other edition of Windows is either malware or shareware in my opinion.

A reinstall will not remove Onedrive, it's now baked in. It can however be disabled from startup in it's settings. That only helps so much as it moves your folders to a new location. Which, by the way MS, WTFlyingF? That is a straight up malware move right there. How long did MS fight to get everything one spot, and now they just move it without permission. Just another example of malware like activity.

Personally, I'm using Mega (free 50gigs), with a smaller folder inside that duplicating to Google. Google is a hassle on Linux (no good, free clients), Mega is easy, unfortunately Mega's trash system doesn't deal well with duplicate file names, so my most important stuff is shared with both for redundancy and better trash system.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 18:25:08 »
I have the same thoughts about Win10. Imo, Win10 Home/Pro should be FreeWare;

{cut}

If I were to take a guess, I'd be willing to bet that eventually Windows will have a subscription based service. Last I heard, Microsoft plans to stick to Win10 for a long time, and if true, they're going to want to increase the revenue it generates outside of OEM sales and data profiting, when it finally saturates the market. The next step is to leverage a subscription based model that promises more stable update releases and the possibly disabling a small portion of telemetry to entice users to bite.

I'm not a heavy gamer anymore, so I've been putting off upgrading hardware so I'm not forced onto Win10, but it'll only last so long, but I've been looking into enterprise versions myself. Linux has been making great headway, but it still requires a good amount of investment to get some Win native games working. I can only hope that more game developers start pushing out linux versions of their games.
By all rights, Win10 qualifies as as malware.
It installed without asking (Virus), installs software you don't want (trojan), displays advertisements (malvertising), makes changes you didn't ask for and steals private information. I would say it's not moving and encrypting data then asking for money, but Onedrive is moving data then telling you that you need to pay for more space (ransomware).

Windows 10 already does allow you to disable a small portion of telemetry, this is "basic" data collection. However, if you read the documentation that was released in the EU, basic is 95% of telemetry, and full only adds a few minor things. It's complete marketing BS. MS says there is no immediate plans for win10 as a service for normal users, however, rumor is it may become free. Technically you can run Win10 now without a license (just no personalization), MS even allows you to download it and offers it free to mobile devices under 10inches. They are not making much from Win10 itself (they make money from everything tacked into it, like One Drive and Office) so it's not a stretch to see it going free in the future.

You can get Win7 and 8 onto newer systems, but it's tricky, especially for Win7, I recently did it on a Nuc. Win7 was a pain and after a short time I just couldn't be bothered as you have to inject USB3 drivers and few other changes which is easier if you use windows on the machine you are making the disk for. Win8.1 was far easier, which was what the customer got.

As far as Linux native games, I wouldn't hold your breath, however if rumors are to be believed it may not matter. In the meantime, Lutris is doing quite well.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 19:05:55 »
CandyCrush and other stuff, including one Drive at one time was relatively simple to remove, but MS has continuously made it more and more difficult and will be reinstalled next major update, with changes to make it harder to remove again. There is one program that can do it and keep it removed (win10privacy), as well as remove ALL of the garbage, however in order to keep them away you need to disable updates. Remove too much and even driver updates and installs get borked though. A better option is to just install enterprise edition if you can get a copy, every other edition of Windows is either malware or shareware in my opinion.

A reinstall will not remove Onedrive, it's now baked in. It can however be disabled from startup in it's settings. That only helps so much as it moves your folders to a new location. Which, by the way MS, WTFlyingF? That is a straight up malware move right there. How long did MS fight to get everything one spot, and now they just move it without permission. Just another example of malware like activity.

Personally, I'm using Mega (free 50gigs), with a smaller folder inside that duplicating to Google. Google is a hassle on Linux (no good, free clients), Mega is easy, unfortunately Mega's trash system doesn't deal well with duplicate file names, so my most important stuff is shared with both for redundancy and better trash system.

Yup, before Windows 10 I played with Linux Mint and Ubuntu. But, Windows 10 is what swayed me to install Debian as my first daily Linux distro. Debian netinst iso ftw :)

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 19:06:19 »
By all rights, Win10 qualifies as as malware.
It installed without asking (Virus), installs software you don't want (trojan), displays advertisements (malvertising), makes changes you didn't ask for and steals private information. I would say it's not moving and encrypting data then asking for money, but Onedrive is moving data then telling you that you need to pay for more space (ransomware).

Windows 10 already does allow you to disable a small portion of telemetry, this is "basic" data collection. However, if you read the documentation that was released in the EU, basic is 95% of telemetry, and full only adds a few minor things. It's complete marketing BS. MS says there is no immediate plans for win10 as a service for normal users, however, rumor is it may become free. Technically you can run Win10 now without a license (just no personalization), MS even allows you to download it and offers it free to mobile devices under 10inches. They are not making much from Win10 itself (they make money from everything tacked into it, like One Drive and Office) so it's not a stretch to see it going free in the future.

You can get Win7 and 8 onto newer systems, but it's tricky, especially for Win7, I recently did it on a Nuc. Win7 was a pain and after a short time I just couldn't be bothered as you have to inject USB3 drivers and few other changes which is easier if you use windows on the machine you are making the disk for. Win8.1 was far easier, which was what the customer got.

As far as Linux native games, I wouldn't hold your breath, however if rumors are to be believed it may not matter. In the meantime, Lutris is doing quite well.

No arguments with that. I know some people get heated over calling it malware, and didn't want to bring that up, haha.

It's a shame because Win7 was very power user friendly and I've only researched Win8 (it's been a while since I've built much), but the whole Win10 thing really puts me off. It just feels like I'd be wasting too much time to wrangle it in to be worth using as a daily driver, and I'm sure that's how a lot of people that oppose but use it feel as well.

With how invasive it is, I may end up keeping my old rig to run linux for media, work, and personal use and put together a new rig solely for Windows gaming, just to keep local data isolated. I've considered just dual-booting, but have read Win10 snoops and moves data it shouldn't be able to without user permission. It depends on how I decide on tackling the issue when I get the itch to slap some new hardware together; the Zen2 stuff is getting me really itchy...

This isn't even about keeping shady things off the record, it's about keeping as much financial, business, and personal data secure as possible.

Edit; I have been trying to keep up with projects like Lutris/Wine/GameOnLinux, and it does make me feel a bit of relief. These guys are the real MVPs for the future of PC gaming atm.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 December 2018, 19:14:21 by Skull_Angel »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 09 December 2018, 02:48:02 »
No arguments with that. I know some people get heated over calling it malware, and didn't want to bring that up, haha.

It's a shame because Win7 was very power user friendly and I've only researched Win8 (it's been a while since I've built much), but the whole Win10 thing really puts me off. It just feels like I'd be wasting too much time to wrangle it in to be worth using as a daily driver, and I'm sure that's how a lot of people that oppose but use it feel as well.

With how invasive it is, I may end up keeping my old rig to run linux for media, work, and personal use and put together a new rig solely for Windows gaming, just to keep local data isolated. I've considered just dual-booting, but have read Win10 snoops and moves data it shouldn't be able to without user permission. It depends on how I decide on tackling the issue when I get the itch to slap some new hardware together; the Zen2 stuff is getting me really itchy...

This isn't even about keeping shady things off the record, it's about keeping as much financial, business, and personal data secure as possible.

Edit; I have been trying to keep up with projects like Lutris/Wine/GameOnLinux, and it does make me feel a bit of relief. These guys are the real MVPs for the future of PC gaming atm.

I'm not trying to bash people for using it, I've said before, use what works for you. I can respect someone for using it, even if I don't respect the OS.

Windows has become less and less power user since long before XP, it's just that in most cases you could work around much of it. Even MS recognized this, which is why they created Powershell, which is kind of a poor replacement for you know, actual control panel settings that were worth a darn.

Win10 moves around a TON of data.
On major updates it archives the current Windows install the deletes it, before reinstalling itself before putting the data back that it needs to This is how they caused the recent Onedrive bug, it's a stupid and moronic method of doing updates, destined to miss something eventually.

It will also over-ride a dual boot system, not just to boot partition, but going so far as to mess with your uefi settings as well.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Qyndryx

• Qyndryx
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 09 December 2018, 09:31:23 »
I have the same gripes as everyone else when it comes to Windows 10, though I've got enough patience to put up with them.  My biggest gripe is probably the UI out of everything else.  The Fluent Design look just doesn't do it for me, Aero was the best.  I suppose nostalgia is also a major part of it for me, considering that I grew up with it.

I made an attempt to install Windows 7 but it threw a hissy fit with drivers and all sorts so I just gave up with it and I'm still using Windows 10.  Having failed the first time, I'm considering trying it again but making a better attempt.